Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Need Help Restoring 1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Duco Bass Drum

Hello all,

I am new here and need help restoring a 1940 Ludwig & Ludwig black and silver duco bass drum. It is 26 x 14 and I only have the shell with the badge intact. First I want to be sure I know what I need and secondly if anyone can help me find this hardware that would be amazing!

10 imperial lugs with thin metal plate underneath (holes measure 2 inches apart)

10 bath tub style tuning rods that are 14" long (I think; don't these go all the way through the lugs?)

10 appropriate claws

10 butt end claws (I think this drum had single tension tuning)

2 26" hoops (probably black with silver sparkle in lay)

Obviously, I'd prefer to find original parts if possible. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Photos attached. Thanks!

5 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Why do you think this was single tension ? The Ludwig 'Standard" bass could have been single or separate tension.

Posted on 12 years ago

From tdennis

Why do you think this was single tension ? The Ludwig 'Standard" bass could have been single or separate tension.

Yep, either way according to the 1940 Ludwig @ Ludwig catalog....

But, the lug footprint on this bass show the smaller casings, used on the single tension model.

By 1940, the Ludwig @ Ludwig "Standard Bass Drum" had been re-named the "Super Bass Drum"....

Those crazy L@L guys........Yes Sir

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

I have 10 CHROME BD long tension rods in Gretsch that should work..

Have Bowtie handles...

Might have 1 or 2 ... 26" BD hoops also.........

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

PS..Novus 2 or paste wax will shine that shell right up!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

Good luck in find the parts this will be a tough one not alot of Ludwig Ludwig kits around. your bass drum looks like it has the imperials that are on my toms. my bass drum has the long imperials on it not the shorter ones as yours appears to have.

1 attachments
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

From blairndrums

I have 10 CHROME BD long tension rods in Gretsch that should work..Have Bowtie handles...Might have 1 or 2 ... 26" BD hoops also.........

Hey blairndrums,

How much would you want for your 10 chrome long tension rods?

Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago

That's a cool bass drum. The duco finishes have really grown on me. Good luck with the resto and please post pics as you get it together.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here