Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Need help removing scratches from BOP finish

Hi all,

I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on a 1964 Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl drum kit. Here's the problem. This drum kit looks like it's been to hell and back! The interiors are scratched and faded and you can see some of the mahogany showing through the white Resacote paint. The exterior is almost as bad. There are a lot of light scratches as well as some very deep scratches on the BOP finish. However, the finish is still very shiny and has not faded at all. The badges are also very dirty and loose. The only positive thing about the whole kit is that it's 100% original with no extra holes.

I plan to sand down the interiors and repaint them white. I will also touch up the bearing edges and fill in any gaps with wood filler. Now on to my question...

Is it possible to buff out the light scratches as well as the deep scratches with some kind of product out there? Maybe wet sanding the finish? I heard of Novus #3 plastic polish for heavy scratches, but how well will it work? Any help will be appreciated. I've never done this before.

Thanks,

Ludwig Dude

Posted on 17 years ago

I myself am real curious about the plastic polishes available and how much they can help with fading and scratches.

I have some automotive plastic polish that comes in a two part system Part 1 for the heavier scratches and Part 2 to bring back the shine. I've an old Ludwig White Pearl kit from the 70's and it's pretty yellow in spots.

I'm thinking this polish just might remove some of the yellowing. Probably not but it just might. I'll go try it and post back.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here