Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Need Help In Restoring Today's "find"

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1965 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl (OBP) Kit earlier today. All the drums need a serious cleaning and polish (see pics) and there are some "issues" I'll need to address. However, I simply couldn't pass them up for the price I paid. Here's "the good, the bad & the ugly" of what I got:

"THE GOOD":

* Original OBP wrap on all three drums;

* No extra holes in either tom shell;

* Original Ludwig Keystone badges on all three drums;

* Factory-drilled holes for original mufflers on both toms;

* Factory-drilled holes for rail consolette & cymbal l-arm mount on bass drum;

* No cracking in any of the shells;

* Original factory-painted white resocoat on all three interior shells.

"THE BAD":

* A few nickel Ludwig Classic lugs in lieu of chrome on the toms;

* Rack tom has one chrome rim and one nickel rim;

* Prior owner replaced the fold-out spurs with non-original spurs (DAH??);

* Prior owner mounted a Ludwig center tom mount on the bass drum shell (DOUBLE DAH????).

"THE UGLY":

*Bass drum hoops have one OBP in-lay & one chrome in-lay;

* Some minor scratching on the wrap on all three shells;

* Some adhesive residue on the wrap on the rack tom.

I've got extra original chrome lugs as well as the chrome rim that I need. I've also got an original Ludwig rail consolette & mount for the cymbal L-arm that I'll be installing. I'll be picking up a pair of Ludwig fold-out spurs to "replace the replacements" currently on the bass drum. I'll need to find some OBP in-lay material.

Obviously, I can't do anything about the center mount. I might just use it to hold some extra sticks. Any other "creative suggestions" would certainly be appreciated!

HERE'S WHERE I NEED YOUR "EXPERT" ADVISE:

I'll be stripping & cleaning the hardware from all the shells as soon as I've got the time. In regard to the shells themselves, I need some suggestions as to what would work best for:

1.) Cleaning them & removing the aforementioned adhesive residue;

2.) Removing superficial scratches; and

3.) Polishing the OBP wrap.

I've used "GOO GONE" in the past on other wraps and it's been quite effective in removing stains and residue. However, I'm concerned that it might be too strong for this particular finish. I'm probably somewhat paranoid, but it took me what seems like "forever" to find a kit with the original OBP wrap at a reasonable price and I don't want to make a stupid mistake and negatively affect the finish by using the wrong product. I've heard that "NOVUS" has some sort of 3-step system that is quite effective. I've personally never used the product but would be extremely interested in hearing from any of you you have. Also, any and all other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've tried to show the residue on the rack tom on the last pic that I posted but, based on the OBP wrap, it's kind of hard to pick it up in the pic.

Sorry for the length of this post. I guess I'm a "tad" excited, even at my advanced age.

As usual, THANKS in advance for all of your help!Coffee Break2

4 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Awesome find. What are the sizes ? I am looking for a Luddy nickel rack tom hoop, would you be willing to part with that hoop ?

Goo-gone should work fine. I'd do that to get the gunk off, then clean with a mild cleaner. Lately I have been using Method Wipes...they are like WetWipes but not as chemically...and they work well. An acetone based glue/gunk remover like Oops also removes the glue, but then it eaves behind a weird residue which is a b#tch to polish out....and on original Luddy Oyster, I wouldn't chance acetone-esque solvents.

Then I usually just use an auto vinyl polish to make 'em gleam. Just don't apply anything TOO wet to the wrap.

Nothing to be done about the scratches...just keep in mind that once polished, they will be less apparent.

For the inlay, precisiondrum.com has that wrap (called 'vintage oyster'). order some inlay strips from them...looks just like the origina although it may be a tad "cleaner" looking...but heck, it's an inlay.

Bummer on the tom mount and spurs...but that is so typical, it's near impossible to avoid. Trying to undo that would require somehow patching the holes to a degree where it'd look nearly perfect. That's very, very hard to do for so many reasons...so maybe, just live with 'em like that.

It's already a great kit. I bet it'll look killer once cleaned up.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, Jaye,

THANKS for the feedback!

The bass drum's a 20", the rack tom's a 13" and the floor tom's a 16".

ONE ADDITIONAL ISSUE I forgot to address: Would the "correct" mufflers for the toms be the baseball bats or the round dial mufflers?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Dammit...I was hoping your rack was a 12 !Mister T

The Keystone badged Ludwig Drum Co. Chicago badges, with serial #'s ...the shells I have renovated, they had baseball bat mufflers. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Oh, man. Th-th-those are just SWEET.Clapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here