Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Need help IDing 1920s Snare Drum...

Picked this one up recently.

Any ideas folks?

Size is 14x5" and it has 6 lugs.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, i think its a ludwig or could be slingerland or leedy..The butt side was used on ludwigs and leedy,slingerland...But with the missing strainer and the holes that are on the shell iam saying ludwig...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

Well, i think its a ludwig or could be slingerland or leedy..The butt side was used on ludwigs and leedy,slingerland...But with the missing strainer and the holes that are on the shell iam saying ludwig...Mikey

I'm going to say ludwig also, the screw caps inside the shell are like all my ole ludwigs are!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

I'm going to say ludwig also, the screw caps inside the shell are like all my ole ludwigs are!!

You can't see that well man !!

Wait, never mind, I can't either.... darn it ..... DOH

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I think you can rule out Slingerland. The shell seam and strainer holes don't appear to be Slingy.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

TheHotIron - I have an early Ludwig Pioneer 14x5 NOB that has the plain vent hole (no grommet or badge) in the same place in relation to the strainer as yours. Mine has no flange hoops and the 20s style strainer just like our buddy Dodds’ 1923 snare. The Pioneer logo is on the top hoop. Oh, the snare butt is different than the 12 hole type you have. Mine is a clamp style. There is no Ludwig logo on the shell and is an 8 lugger. On the lever of the strainer mine has what appears to be an abbreviated “Patent Applied For” that reads “PAT APPD FOR”. Hope this helps.

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

Looking at the edge flanges, I'd say Ludwig. Nice drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

Steel or brass....very nice by the way!??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

It's got to be brass!!!!!Jump For Joy

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

First off,... thanks a million guys! All of the help is very valued and appreciated!

Yep, its brass,... its actually Chrome on brass, not your run of the mill nickel as is so commonly seen, so someone paid good money for that option back in the day, as some of you may know.

My initial idea was Ludwig, but yeah, the butt is kind of weird,.... never saw that on a Ludwig or Leedy??

No other ideas on that? Maybe did someone replace the Ludwig piece long ago? I mean it looks like its been on there since its birth waaaaay back??

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here