Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Need Help Identifying This Ludwig Snare

Hi, I've got an old Ludwig snare drum that I was told is from the late teens - early 20s.

I've asked the Web Master to post a few pics of the drum in hopes that some of you "experts" out there can help identify this one for me. I'm also hoping to find out what it might be worth to a collector.

The drum's got a metal shell, 8 tube lugs, what I believe is known as a Ludwig Pioneer throw, and its original "gut" snares. Engraved on the shell to the left of the throw is "Ludwig Trademark."

THANKS in advance for helping me out with this one.

Posted on 16 years ago

Here it is...

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

The throw off is pre 1929, after that year the gut frame was changed to 60 degree angle instead of yours which is at 90 degrees. The throwoff looks to be Model 338 which was used with another type of rim mounted throwoff from 1918 to 1929. From the looks of the shell and hardware, if there is a large Ludwig name on the left of the throwoff that rises up the shell from left to right, it might be what is listed in the Ludwig Book as the Ludwig All-Metal Seperate Tension drum, earlier models were 10 lug and wooden, in 1923-1926 they were made of metal. Value to a collector would vary, depending on better pictures, documentation, shell height and metal will change value as well. Here is similar model that was sold. Black Beauty usually had blackend chrome, I assumed that this one listed on Ebay lost it's black finish

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Here is another similar to yours. Yours looks like a 4 X 14 from the picture. This one has the throwoff that is mounted to the rim.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

backbeatkeeper:

THANKS for taking the time to provide your comments. I certainly appreciate it.

It looks like the drum I've got resembles the first pic that you provided, other than the obvious difference in depth.

I don't think mine is a Ludwig Pioneer Model, since it's my understanding that those only came with 6-lugs in the 1920s. However, I might be mistaken.

My drum has the wording "Ludwig Trademark" on the shell, exactly as shown on the drum in your first pic. On mine, it's to the left of the strainer.

THANKS AGAIN for our input.

Posted on 16 years ago

Have you looked at the Ludwig Snare Drum Page?

David

Posted on 16 years ago

DAVID:

THANKS for the suggestion!

I've reviewed the site and my drum looks extremely similar to the Ludwig Metal Separate Tension Drum, featured in the early 1920s.

HOWEVER.......... I noticed that engraved to the left of the strainer on the Separate Tension Drum is "Ludwig Chicago." Engraved on my drum is "Ludwig Trademark."

Other than that, they appear identical.

THANKS AGAIN for your time and your help!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here