Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

need help dating ludwigs

hey.......just found this great site! my son & i each have a set of re-wrapped ludwigs, sizes 12,13,16,22. his have b/o badges, mine have none. his shells have re-enforcement rings, & gray speckled (granitone?) interiors, mine have no rings, shells approx. 5/16" thick, & tan speckled interiors. his has small lugs on his 12" tom, large lugs everywhere else, mine has small lugs on all 3 toms, large on the bass. his has small telescoping spurs, mine are larger. those are the differences--can anyone date these from this info? i know some shells are more desirable than others, & have better tone--where do these rate? looking forward to hanging here and getting to know some of you. great site, and some beautiful drums in the gallery.......marko52

Posted on 17 years ago

I?ve dated a lotta girls, but I never dated any Ludwigs!!!!!!!!!!!!! LoLoLoLo

I think some photos might help, so why don?t you post some here.

Not that I might know, but there are a lot of old timers and experts here that would.

Post some photos, it would make it easier for them. :)

Good luck.

Peace,

DICARLO

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

hey.......just found this great site! my son & i each have a set of re-wrapped ludwigs, sizes 12,13,16,22. his have b/o badges, mine have none. his shells have re-enforcement rings, & gray speckled (granitone?) interiors, mine have no rings, shells approx. 5/16" thick, & tan speckled interiors. his has small lugs on his 12" tom, large lugs everywhere else, mine has small lugs on all 3 toms, large on the bass. his has small telescoping spurs, mine are larger. those are the differences--can anyone date these from this info? i know some shells are more desirable than others, & have better tone--where do these rate? looking forward to hanging here and getting to know some of you. great site, and some beautiful drums in the gallery.......marko52

Hi, Marco. I read your post and I can't quite figure out which drums you might have...

You say your kit has NO badges? No re-rings? Tan speckled interiors? Small lugs on ALL the toms?

I would say that your kit is either not a Ludwig kit at all or it is one of a much newer vintage than the ones I am familiar with.

If it's possible to snap a few pictures of these features and then post them here, it would make the detective work a lot easier and more accurate. Burger Kin

As far as how the shells rate....Subjective, of course...but the more desirable (to collectors) drums are the ones with the re-rings, because it usually indicates the famous Ludwig 3-ply shell. The 3-ply shells are, to me, the heart of the Ludwig sound.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Sounds like Marco could possibly have an 80's rocker set. The seventies Ludwig set is definately the more desirable of the two.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here