Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Need help dating and getting a general appraisal

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. Thank you all for the hospitality I have been shown thus far. Here is my story:

I grew up playing Gretsch, had a 60s era gold sparkle kit that I learned on, ended up donating it to a church........ I miss it.

Anyway, in 1993 a colleague of mine needed money and wanted to sell his kit. I was surprised to hear the Gretsch name, because at that time the industry seemed to be dominated by the Pearls, and Tamas.. I agreed, bought it and still play teh kit today. The issue I am having is tyring to accurately date and appraise the kit. From what I have read about I think it is an 80s kit. No idea early or late. I want to know how to identify how many plys the shell is. I assume it is a wrapper because I can see the seam in the drums, but they are a beautiful maple color. I have attached a few pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

3 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

We have a Gretsch dealer on board, Steve Maxwell and he is probably the best person to answer the question since he handles vintage and new Gretsch.

I'm not sure about this era Gretsch since it is not vintage and not new but probably in his knowledge base.

I will contact him to see if he can help out.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

I specialize mostly in vintage Gretsch and brand new Gretsch, but, from what I can tell the kit looks like an 80s/90s set. To determine the number of plies all you need to do is count them in the area of the bearing edge on any of the drums. Since Gretsch drums do not have reinforcement rings it makes it easy to count the plies in the shell. Gretsch took a hit to their reputation in the 80s and through a lot of the 90s as they had many changes in ownership and management, but there were still a lot of nice drums that came through Gretsch during that time. Hope this helps some.

Steve

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you,

As I mentioned, it was purchased in 93 from a person that said he bought it in the 80s. So I am sure it is an 8o's kit, I wasjust hoping to be able to narrow it more than that. Would counting the plys help in this? Also, how can I get more information about the shells, material, wrapper, construction, etc...

Thanks all

Posted on 18 years ago

I have a brochure at home from Gretsch that shows this kit as the Fusion 12 - 9571

The serial number you show is for one of the toms based on the brochure???

Unfortunately I do not have the book in front of me, but once I track it down this evening I will give you the details in regards to the shells etc..

As stated by Steve 80's is not the best years, but I have no idea how that translates into sound?

Let me come up with a price after I find out more about the shells. It was after Steve's post that I realized I have the brochure on the web site, but not the complete brochure. Price would probably be the retail at that time less a certain percentage like 30 or 40%. based on age and condition.

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/reference_catalogs.html

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help.

By the way, I can't find it on the catalog page?

Jack

Posted on 18 years ago

That actually is a large poster and not an "official" catalog, so I made an error with that. The good news is I have the original price list from 1987 for that flyer.

The drum sizes will determine which model #set you have. From the look of it the set is the Fusion set that was a 7 piece set.

It had three ordering options. Here is the page from the price sheet. I also added the inside cover explaining how it works.

Click on the images for the super large version.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/gretsch_drum_flyer1_th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/gretsch_drum_flyer2_th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you so much.

I will look at teh sizes today, but from what I remember, I have 8, 10, 12, 14 and a 16" Bass drum, that doesn't seem to match anything there. I will measure and check.

Posted on 18 years ago

OK,

I measured the drums and here is what I found:

toms:

8" x 8"

10" x 8"

12" x 10"

14" x 11 1/2"

floor tom

16" x 16"

Bass Drum

22" x 16"

I measred it twice and I still get 14" x 11 1/2" I don't see that on the price list anywhere. (this mystery drum also has 8 lugs vs teh five on all teh other tom toms) I also noticed that the illustration of the fusion sets in the price guide show that the toms are not mounted on teh bass drum. Mine are, does that mean that they are not a fusion set? There also seems to be a color and wood pattern difference between the 8, 10, 12 and the 14, floor tom and bass drum. Thanks , I hate to be a pain..... but.... does the catalog you have have color pictures odf the set? I would love to be able to se the whole catalog somehow. Let me know if this is posible.

Jack

Posted on 18 years ago

O.k with the additional info about the drums I wonder if drums were added later to the set. It might not have a designated name. I will try and get a pic.

Thanks

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here