Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Need guidance wet sanding wrap.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]This is a recent acquisition. There are inscriptions carved right into the wrap finish of this white marine pearl marching drum. I haven't ever tried to wet sand a wrap yet... Assuming wet sand is the right course of action, Are there any tricks, do's or DON'Ts? that I need to know first? Also, will wet sanding help diminish the yellowing of the wrap? So far I have stripped the shell, wiped it down and masked the holes from the inside. Click on pics for their fine artwork.[/FONT]Help2

3 attachments
Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi wads - Sometimes the yellowing on finishes like WMP is coming from the inside out. (Glue interacting with wrap.) Other times, the yellowing is caused by environmental factors, smoking, sun-fading, etc. If it's surface yellowing, (easy to tell because it's smelly and sticky/tacky,) it can be cleaned off. If it's coming from the inside, out, then no amount of sanding is going to get rid of it. The yellow permeates the wrap material from the bottom/up.

Unless you know what you're doing, I don't recommend sanding any wrap.

Plenty of good wrap cleaners around, the Novus products, Maguiers, Mothers, etc. Do a little homework, I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations from the members here.

Good luck with your project...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

While I have no idea about wet sanding I would be willing to bet that the engraving goes through at least the top layer of the wrap. If that is true, the. You would pretty much ruin the wrap by the time you get the inscription out. I may very well be wrong, but you would not have to engrave deep at all to go through that top layer.

Maybe the engraving will just be part of this drum's charm and history?

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

While not ideal the engraving is kinda cool. I think once you polish the shell it'll blend in a bit more. You can always scrub inside the letters a bit with a old toothbrush and a little soap/water if there's dirt grime inside them. Neat shell.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here