Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Need advice on 1920's Leedy brass snare drum restoration

I'm in the process of restoring a 1920's snare drum. The drum was found in an attic a few years ago. The drum was originally black, but at some point it has been repainted. From what I can tell, the drum has been sanded, then painted with some kind of primer (which can be seen on the inside of the drum), and eventually covered in a thick layer of silver paint, sloppily applied with a brush. I've tried to use a gentle paint remover on a small surface, and even though that works pretty well it has proven impossible to strip only the top layers of paint. After expanding my little test-area I realised that this drum is indeed engraved! It's not easy to tell from my picture, but it's there. My question is how to proceed and what my options are. Initially, I was planning to simply repaint the whole drum black, but the engraving is a really fine feature of the drum so I'd like to keep it visible if possible. Any suggestions on this would be most appreciated!

I could add that the drum came almost complete with two rims and a fully operational snare strainer. One lug is missing a small piece, and I will need to find 8 replacement tension rods. Still, it's a cool drum find.

3 attachments
1962-1965 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle
1965 Supraphonic
1978 Tama Royalstar with concert toms
1986 Tama Techstar
1990's Sonor Sonic Plus II
Posted on 4 years ago

What about wet sanding? Might be worth a shot?

Posted on 4 years ago

So is the black layer paint or black Nickle? I'm not aware of any engraved drums that were painted. Engraved drums were either in Brass, Black Nickle, Chrome or Silver Nickle. My guess is that it was originally polished brass and someone painted it black at some point. Later someone brushed that silver paint on.

You can remove single layers of paint with Easy Off oven cleaner.

Since you have already removed a big section of the black at this point there is no saving it. I would find a strong paint remover and strip it all off and see what you have.

Posted on 4 years ago

That makes perfect sense of course, the drum could originally have been nickel plated. But how did someone manage to strip the plating away? By sanding? There is definitely black paint underneath the silver and the white, it looks like the silver paint has dissolved that paint and soaked it up, and it comes off when using paint stripper. I cant imagine paint remover would remove nickel. I'll need to check this properly tomorrow, especially the inside of the shell. Here is a picture of the inside, and as you can see, the black colour is really smooth and covers both the bearing edges and the folds.

1 attachments
1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 4 years ago

There was a black nickle engraved snare called the Elite but it had brass finished hardware. There was also an engraved Gold Elite version that was polished and lacquered brass finish but it also had brass finish hardware. Yours appears to be nickle plated which doesn't mate with a polished brass shell.

Posted on 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing knowledge! I've been trying to figure out what it originally could have looked like, but the internet gave few answers really. As you say, the typical black engraved models came with brass hardware. On vintagedrumguide.com I found this pic of a black engraved snare that looks much like mine. Also, a company called "A Drummer's Tradition" has something they call a Leedy Black Lacquer; that one isn't engraved though. That drum is shown here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewsyEKdKYN0"]Late 1920's Leedy Snare Drum 5x14 Black Lacquer - RB's Pick!! - YouTube[/ame]

1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 4 years ago

There were also non cataloged models made by all of the drum companies so that could easily explain it. It seems odd that they would have painted an engraved shell from the factory but anything is possible I suppose.

There was a white enamel, black enamel and a gold enamel finish offered, but all were un-engraved.

threeonthefloor.com has a bunch of examples of 20s Leedy snares. It appears that even the polished brass "gold elite" was painted black on the inside.

http://www.threeonthefloor.com/1920s-leedy-gold-elite-model-snare-drum-5-x-14/

Posted on 4 years ago

As it turns out, the shell was not painted but nickel plated on both sides, just as "thin shell" suggested. I stripped (almost all of) the paint off, and underneath it was what remains of the original plating. Not a lot left! The plating was unaffected by the paint stripper, as expected. So, someone has removed the plating by sanding, possibly long before I was born. Still, the shell seems to be in very good condition, and now I need to figure out what to do with it. I could paint it, or maybe leave it as it is.

Interestingly, the plating on the inside looks satin, whereas the remaining plating on the outside, especially in the grooves, is still glossy.

1 attachments
1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here