Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Need advice for cleaning flaking chrome

A question for the esteemed restoration gurus...

I just picked up my 70's B/O Super Sensitive tonite and am about to start the restore process. The chrome is pretty bad in some spots, alot of bubbling and some flaking. In the worst spots the aluminum underneath is showing through.

Before I break out the Bon Ami mix, I wanted to get some advice on how best to approach this. Clearly the drum will never be new, but I certainly don't want to do anything to aggravate what's already going on and make it worse.

Posted on 16 years ago

Crumbled aluminum oil and water - doea the least chrome damage. Most anything physical (as opposed to straight polish) will break the bubbles and espose the shell underneath.

Posted on 16 years ago

What's crumbled aluminum oil? or do you mean aluminum foil?

Posted on 16 years ago

There seem to be a bunch of online suggestions for using white vinegar or cola and dipping the aluminum foil in it and using that to clean chrome...

Never tried it... but it is all over the place out there.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

What's crumbled aluminum oil? or do you mean aluminum foil?

I'm sure he meant foil...

Posted on 16 years ago

Started cleaning very gingerly last night with a little windex. The worst of the chrome is flaking off as I do it. Fortunately, those bad spots would be facing me when the drum is set up, so not really sweating it. In the good spots, the drum shines like a champ. Everything else is in order so far. I got the mechanism back on and I am working on the lugs now.

I gathered all the parts I needed via ebay, the local drum center and from a guy who specializes in repairs, who is about 15 minutes from me. He had bins and bins of parts and probably 100 kits in this little shop. If anyone needs anything this guy probably has it. He has some vintage, but no full ludwig sets, so I didn't get specifics on anything else. I will post his info in another thread.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here