Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Need A Slingerland Copper Wrap Expert

I would like like to redo my Pearl set in a copper finish and the only other copper set I have seen is the old Slingerland. Does anyone know what they put over the copper to keep it from turning that green color over time? I have seen recent pics of the copper slingerland sets in good condition so I am assuming whatever they used worked really well with occasional maintenance. I have never seen a copper colored wrap so I plan on using very thin sheet copper and cutting it to the right sizes. any info about these old sets would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on 15 years ago

I re-covered a set of Slingys that had the "copper" wrap. Turns out it was steel that had been copper plated and over time, pitting was coming thru where the clear coat they used had worn off. Nothing to be done at that point because removing the metal wrap messed it up. We covered them with black pearl. Copper is very soft so it would be tricky stuff to work with and have come out smooth not to mention trying to coat it to protect from tarnishing.A while ago I was investigating acid treatments to different metals like sculptors use. Copper would look cool with some of these treatments. Go for it!

1971 Gretsch Moonglow 12, 14, 18
1980's Pearl Export 10, 12, 16, 22
1960's Kent Blue Sparkle 12, 14, 20
1965 Slingerland Mahogany 12, 15, 20
1967 Ludwig Mahogany and Maple 12, 14, 20
1963 Ludwig Maple NOB Pioneer
1930's? Ludwig and Ludwig 5.5x14 Maple
1971 COB Gretsch 5.5x14
Olive badge Acrolite
Various Kent mongrel snares
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Perhaps search for a more typical plastic/pvc wrap in a copper color ? Just a thought. I have never wrapped in a chrome, copper, black chrome, etc. wrap...but I can tell you, after unwrapping some...I would NEVER wanna work with that stuff ever again. It isn't user-friendly....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I will have to check out some different thicknesses to try and get the thinnest copper possible while it stays smooth on the drum and doesnt have the wrinkled look like foil. There seems to be a lot of clear coats out there that are made for copper. I would imagine a regular polishing and adding a new layer of the clear coat every year or so should keep them in good shape.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here