Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Need 1966 Ludwig Downbeat Piccolo Snare Lug - Part No. 2225

I am in need of one (1) Ludwig Piccolo Snare lug; 1966 era for a Downbeat snare. Ludwig part No. 2225

Below is a picture of what I am looking for as one of the threaded shafts has broken off and I want to use the original screw and washer but can't due to this.

Thanks !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

i'm willing to bet a handy guy with a drill press could dill that out a little over size and press in a piece of tubing, the tube would need threads cut into it to accept the mounting screw. the tube would need to installed with lock-tight to save your lug, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Posted on 7 years ago

Mr CT,

That lug is an extremely difficult lug to find.

One of the hardest.

I know, I tried at one point.

Are there any threads left inside the broken "boss" on your lug.

Is there any more metal in lug boss to drill a little deeper?

(Without going all the way through)

If so, you could run an 8-32 tap into drilled out boss and use a longer screw.

Good luck sir.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Michael--

Now i remembered why that lug had some play in it, and that's why i mentioned i wasn't sure how damaged that lug was. I guess those three ply Ludwig screws i gave you didn't work ? :( I hope you end up fixing that little guy up, or replacing it..But as burgundy pointed out, maybe a very skilled metal guy can fix it to make it solid again.

Not sure if i mentioned this guy, but Dave from Dave's drum shop in Ottawa always has vintage Ludwig parts lying around, and he may just have one of those DB lugs..

Good luck buddy !

https://davesdrumshop.com/collections/hardware-1

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

From green glass drum

Mr CT,That lug is an extremely difficult lug to find.One of the hardest.I know, I tried at one point.Are there any threads left inside the broken "boss" on your lug.Is there any more metal in lug boss to drill a little deeper?(Without going all the way through)If so, you could run an 8-32 tap into drilled out boss and use a longer screw.Good luck sir.

There was some threading left in the lug, and i ended up using a generic long screw which held up nicely. The only problem was the slight angling play the lug had because of the lack of the other half of the screw insert, and this is what caused the lug to angle up and down. There is a little metal left in the "boss", but not much..

Just enough to hold a screw.

Posted on 7 years ago

even if you can us a longer screw to fasten it down, you are still going to have problems with not having the shoulder on the lug to hold it square in the hole, even when every thing is good the lugs don't want to sit correct due to the rods pulling it ****-eyed,

if you think you have enough threads to hold it in place? you could cut a short piece of tube to take up fill the gap between screw and shell, but it can't protrude thru the thickness of the shell.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for all the input and recommendations.

Rob was very honest about the lug and the screw holding it in place. I am one of those A**l engineers according to my wife and like everything to be original hence my new quest to look for a replacement lug. I did reach out to Dave's to see if they had one, and am waiting to hear back. I will take the lug back with me to the US this week as I have a friend that owns a machine shop to get his input. Just afraid that the white metal and repair may not hold up to the torque put on it when the tension rods are tightened down. Rob, I did try the smaller screws and they don't bite into the threaded part enough to hold, will look for a longer screw and washer from the same era if this cant be repaired or I cant get a replacement.

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 7 years ago

That's right, the boss plays a very important part in this shell/lug design.

Those lugs get pulled up and down with a lot of torque.

Hopefully Dave has a lug for you.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

Still looking..... Anyone have one?

Michael

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 6 years ago