Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Natural Wood rewrap

I have watched the incredible jobs here wrapping drums with natural wood, as opposed to plastic wraps. I am currently watching for 70s Rogers orphans.

I was checking out eBay and came across an interesting seller- ralphb7819.

He appears to be taking vintage Slingerland kits and pulling the wrap. He then applies natural wood wrap and sells them for $1210 plus 120 shipping. He has walnut and curly maple, etc.

Question:

Do you think this seller is off in his thinking? Will his move to natural wood rewraps be something buyers will want? And at that price?

My two cents:

I cannot believe that any rewrap would increase the value; exception would be a very inexpensive set with trashed wrap or inexpensive orphans with trashed wrap that gets new life by wrapping it with wood. I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that even perfectly good wraps will be destroyed for these sorts of projects. That saddens me.

Any opinions on the questions posed?

Posted on 11 years ago

This always seems like a touchy subject with the value of rewraps. There is really no way to say one opinion is right over another. I think you definitely make some good points though. I guess it just comes down to you can ask whatever you want for something you are selling and if it looks attractive and sounds great and people have the money then there's a chance you can sell it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Depends on the collector.

Some want the original wrap no matter what, and that's ok.

I've saved, conserved,ressurected many kits, and as a player, I'm not much into wraps as far as sound goes. Like throwing a blanket over and acoustic guitar. Kills the sound.

That being said, a properly applied wrap will have minimal effect on the sound and removing it will affect that "vintage" sound.

People who are players tend to be more into the sound than the collector value.

I always try to work with the wood that's there under the wrap. I only re-wrap if the plies have major damage.

I don't think a re wrap kit, no matter how well done, will match an original wrapped kit for value but it certainly can match it for sound.

Remember this. No matter what the item or condtion, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

If you have a wrap that can not be repaired or replaced with the damage being extreme, why not go for the natural vintage look. A lot of drummers do like the vintage look (pre 1920) ala Levon Helm, it's classic. Mahogany, Walnut and Cherry are good choices for the vintage look.

As Holliwood said, it's more about the sound. Aged wood sounds so much better than new wood (including the old glues) and these old kits have a unique sound that a lot of drummers want.

Applying wood veneers is not the same as applying a new wrap, the principle is the same but methods, technique and type of veneer is a different animal. It's very expensive and should be done by or with the help of someone who has experience. One small screw up will ruin it, there is no fix after the fact.

The drum forum Ghostnote has well experienced builders that work with veneers, they can give you all the help you'll need. Join, read, ask questions, you'll get it done right. It's a great forum.

PS: Bring your sense of humor and wear a thick skin, there is a bit of a Frat Hazing for new members, once that's over you'll make a lot of friends.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here