Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

mystery Vintage snaredrum shell

This was given to me by my now late father in which I would love to restore this and use it full time. It had Slingerland style solid hoops (no mounting holes) and I think had 2 individual mounting components to keep tension on the heads. It's been so long ago since I've played this. Does anyone know what I might have here? The snare wires were tied on with some white string but again that was 1974 when I actually played the drum (age 7 I think).

Some believe this drum is much older (est. - 1940's)???

thanks all

Sam

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks like a 5x15 Ludwig. Anyone.........anyone?

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry I forgot to mention that it's a 13x4 shell.

thank you all

Sam

Posted on 14 years ago

My cousin lives in Bay City! That shell looks to me like it could be a Slingerland single tension student drum from the 30s or 40s.

Posted on 14 years ago

Way Cool,

Who's your cousin who lives here? Maybe I know him. We own the handle factory here that makes Purdy paint brush handles. Anyway I will check around to see if I can match up to the Slingerland Student drums out there. Any leads on this?

thanks

Sam

Posted on 14 years ago

I was told these drums had only two mounting "lugs" that applied pressure to the rims and heads. Besides the snare throw-off which I would like to learn of it's type, does anyone know what the lugs mounts look like or are called?

Once I get this back together - I will share more pics of the finished product.

thanks

smcrae

Posted on 14 years ago

From smcrae

Way Cool,Who's your cousin who lives here? Maybe I know him. We own the handle factory here that makes Purdy paint brush handles. Anyway I will check around to see if I can match up to the Slingerland Student drums out there. Any leads on this? thanks Sam

My cousin is John Morgan. He is an old bachelor who doesn't do much but play golf. If your plant is the one on the hill, he lives just below it in a mobile home.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes I know him. I bought a set of golf clubs from him back when I first started. He gets free wood from us all the time!!. So I looked for a Slingerland Student drum but don't see anything out there - I might see if this is a Ludwig shell.

thanks

San

Posted on 14 years ago

Pretty sure that's a 1930s Slingerland shell from a student model 6 lug single tension drum. It had that throw off that only shows up on those early student drums. It had flat steel rims. I had one once...couldn't really do much with it. It's a thin brass shell.

In complete condition they're usually worth $100-150. It would probably be easier to find a complete one than finding the parts for it...

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah I found one similar at the Ludwig sight at http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_snare_drum_catalog_pages.html

It's at the 1926 section. Looks like mine but I'm sure Slingerland made one. I might still have some of those claws even.

thanks.

Sam

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here