Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Mystery tom - uncovered!

Sometime last year I got hold of a vintage Olympic kit which had been recovered. As seen in previous posts, I stripped the covering away and the original wrap and re-varnished the kit. There was however, a non-olympic 13" tom included. The wrap was a blue contact paper, but when I removed it there was thick black sticky paint on this extra tom. Well, with a couple of spare hours to kill, and one sore arm later, I've stripped the paint away and given it a polish, fitted a spare tom mount and here it is! Look quite nice, but I've no idea what brand. I think when I posted it up as part of the restoration it was decided it was some stencil, but here's the complete drum, so someone may have some further ideas.

3 attachments
Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

That is still looking rather stencil-ish to me, but the wrap almost looks like it could be Ludwig, one one of the Standard Strata colors. The lugs are a MIJ copy of the Ludwig Classics, so I honestly think this a very blatant rip of the Standard drums, no doubt about that. I do not recognize the badge.

[COLOR=red]It looks rather similar to, but not the same as, a Del Rey, seen here:[/COLOR]

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/snare_japanese/badges/del_rey.jpg

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

That is still looking rather stencil-ish to me, but the wrap almost looks like it could be Ludwig, one one of the Standard Strata colors. The lugs are a MIJ copy of the Ludwig Classics, so I honestly think this a very blatant rip of the Standard drums, no doubt about that. I do not recognize the badge. [COLOR=red]It looks rather similar to, but not the same as, a Del Rey, seen here:[/COLOR]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/snare_japanese/badges/del_rey.jpg

Looks like ya nailed it John... That looks just like a Ludwig Standard wrap, kinda. Looks like what a good copy would look like. If that makes any sense... If it doesn't, send me a dollar and I'll shut up! Excited

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks guys! Yeah, I think even the lugs are trying to be luddy and the badge was probably a knock-off of the keystone. I'll probably try and sell it - I know it's not worth much but there may be someone somewhere with a kit in that finish who wants an extra tom.

Posted on 14 years ago

I do not believe this is a stencil-everything I see in the photos is of a higher quality than a stencil.Cast rims-the area adjacent to the lug hole is tapered into the rim itself-that,to me says engineering.The wood does not look like lauan.That pearl color is very similar to a recently posted Yamaha set.This one is a stumper,and I love a stumper......

Posted on 14 years ago

To me that is not a M.I.J. drum..The badge i think is "hollywood" lower end drums made by Meazzi...Also the tom mount is 70s Premier ia'm not sure of the shell's wood ia'm thinking beechwood 5 ply...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

To me that is not a M.I.J. drum..The badge i think is "hollywood" lower end drums made by Meazzi...Also the tom mount is 70s Premier ia'm not sure of the shell's wood ia'm thinking beechwood 5 ply...Mikey

Is Jolly from Meazzi, i don't know details

[IMG]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1755/82356508.th.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago

Look at this...I TRIED to upload it-REALLY-www.popsmania.com/bata_popovic.html

Posted on 14 years ago

Above link won't work, but it does look like the pic in the post above very much - thanks for that, I think that's the one! The Premier mount was my doing btw, just because it fit the holes and I wanted it functioning. Any ideas of value?

Posted on 14 years ago

From brody

Any ideas of value?

I think not very much, just a tom, realy not much.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here