Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Mystery potentially eastern european snare drum

Hi guys, does anybody know which manufacturer this snare drum is by? Throw-off points towards Tromsa, lugs somehow remind me of a RMIF snare drum I had before. Snare has 15-ish/38cm head diameter (metric?), calf skins, 8 lugs per side, 4kg weight, all parts non-magnetic metal (NoB?) with a thin marble wrap. Really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Edit: turns out I was very wrong: looks like some weird 1ply wood shell or so, lots of additional holes, so throw-off likely non-original.

Posted on 2 years ago

one more picture of the inside

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

I`m sure Father-42 will be along shortly to provide his expertise...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 2 years ago

Alas, my friends...

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Guess it's some old mahogany shell or so with parts added later. Thanks anyway! Will see if I can get a decent sound out of the snare drum and so I know if worth remodelling

Posted on 2 years ago

If the shell is stained it looks more like Beech wood to me,the grain looks like the grain on Premier beechwood re rings.

Interesting that it would be single ply with no re rings from that era.

Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the hint. I think it is not a beech shell comparing the grain to (lots) of other beech shells I have. From the size (inch, pre-metric?) and style (+old holes from other hardware) I would assume it's a shell from the 20s-to 50s remodelled in the 60s-to-80s (hardware, wrap), but of course I may be wrong. I think mahogany and similar woods were the most common solid/1ply shells, a regional alternative would have been oak wood (but yet to see old solid oak shells), I know of occasional solid beech shells used in benelux countries but again it doesn't look like that from the grain.

Posted on 2 years ago

I suppose that is simply a snare remastered from solid 1-ply steambent beech tom shell -- it's easy to see.

Lugs likely have produced from traditional ZAC alloy (or aluminium) with Ni coating.

It seems to me that this boy probably come from small italian custom drum worlshop.

P.S.: without hex head bolts !!!... :D

Cheers,

George.

Posted on 2 years ago

The wood looks like red oak, to me. It appears that the shell was cut down to its present size, from a larger drum. Likely an experiment.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

From coll3ctor

Hi guys, does anybody know which manufacturer this snare drum is by? Throw-off points towards Tromsa, lugs somehow remind me of a RMIF snare drum I had before. Snare has 15-ish/38cm head diameter (metric?), calf skins, 8 lugs per side, 4kg weight, all parts non-magnetic metal (NoB?) with a thin marble wrap. Really appreciate your help. Thanks!Edit: turns out I was very wrong: looks like some weird 1ply wood shell or so, lots of additional holes, so throw-off likely non-original.

Like stated, absolutely cut down. You can see the old lug holes at the bearing edge.

Your new task would be to identify the parts.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here