Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Mystery Drums

I bought these drums a few months ago. The guy I got them from had always thought it was an old Sonor kit but had recently discovered from

a former Sonor employee that it is not. He was also told it might be a Rogers kit but after researching I've come to the conclusion it is definitely not.

Any ideas?? The lugs on these drums have to be a dead giveaway to whatever brand they are. I have researched every major vintage drum company and can't find anything. The closest is Sonor but they never made lugs like these. They were painstakingly refinished by the previous owner so it is not the original colour. Sizes are 20", 16", 13"(I think)

Here's some photos:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mrclayton/Drums/

Any help would be appreciated.

Clayton.

Posted on 16 years ago

They look like a custom built set of drums to me.. I have seen 1,000's of drums and never that lug..

With no badges or markings, it says custom/small builder to me and those lugs are interesting. They look open on the ends and the tension rods go inside of them..

How are the interiors and have you looked closely at the interiors for any markings or identification?

They could very well be from another country and just not known in the USA.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

hello,my best guess would have to be some type of drums made in england,with any markings or badges,my guess would be john grey drums i think these were made in the 50s-60s in england..the way to tell is remove one of the lugs,if they are john grey drums the inside lug will have the name on them.or your set could be some other england made drums..but this is still a cool set..mike

Posted on 16 years ago

(just bumping this up for possible new viewers to see)

Posted on 16 years ago

I've seen similar lugs on a McCormick marching snare. I sold it a while back. I know nothing about the company. Hoops do remind me of a lot of marching snares I have seen. Slotted tension rods, used by many UK & German companies, these could be "what he had on hand" at the time and may not be original to the kit.

Tom mount looks like old plumbing flanges, (notice the metal T and plastic (bakelite?) knobs don't match.

Strange place for a vent hole, next to the cowbell holder (which looks like a bass spur).

T-Rods remind me of Gretsch.

This might be a "Frankenstein" kit, odd parts of other kits brought together to make a working kit.

You'd have to remove one of the lugs to see if there are any markings, post a picture of the inner workings of the lugs and, if you can the insides of the drum shells, maybe there are marks we can use to ID the drums.

Posted on 16 years ago

it looks home made to me,the bass drum spurs are old premier and so is the cymbal mount (just one upside down)

how does it sound?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here