Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

mysterious muffler inside Sonor(?) Pancake

Dear community,

I recently acquired this snare which is quite likely(?) to be a Sonor Pancake, but this muffler is confusing me so much.

Has anybody seen this before?

The black parts are partly wood, partly metal.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

coll3ctor

Posted on 7 years ago

Do you have the trim ?

That`s not any SONOR damper I`ve seen from the 50`s early 60`s, and SONOR did use bar dampers. Only in that era. SONOR had knobs and totally different construction. The SONOR pancakes didn`t have the knob, SONOR went with a BD tuning key instead. it gave more grip.

Closer-ups, outside, are ideal to view.

The shell is all beat up from something happening to it, it would never leave the factory like that. It looks beech too.

Nothing says SONOR to me yet.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Oddball,

thank you for your reply.

The hardware (missing on the photos) is what you would expect from a mid 60s Sonor Pancake, so it would not add any information to the puzzle. I know about vintage Sonor drums and the standard mufflers, but I don't know the maker of this particular muffler.

kind regards,

Friedrich

Posted on 7 years ago

To be honest, it looks fabricated to suit a need. The blocks go into a recess and it looks non machined to me, the bent bar with the damper goes through what I believe is an original vent hole.

What keeps tension on the rod ? So it stays put ??

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Thank you, I never thought about this option. Yes, the vent looks factory-fitted, but on the other hand I can't remember a pancake with a venthole. In addition construction seems a bit to intricate for DIY, since the muffler is kept in place by a spring-loaded ball.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here