Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

My very first drum

Hi all,

Today I introduced myself in the vintage section for the first time and spoke this Radio King snare that I would like to restore. I thought the "restoring vintage drums" section was the more appropriate area for discussing and showing off the drum. As I stated in my other post, this was my very first drum given to me by my father many years ago. I think it's time to bring it back to life. I'm sorting out what parts I need but I do not own any other Radio Kings so I'm not exactly sure what is missing.....I will try to post photos. Off the bat, I know I need parts for the strainer, butt, and snare gate? I also need to address the re-rings, tension rods, and a few other bits and pieces. Judging from the badge, I believe this drum was produced between 1956-59. Thanks in advance.

Also I am looking to purchase a 37-early 40'd RK 7X14"....

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Behindthebeat, your correct about the date, also looks like as far as parts go all you need is the arm for the 3 point strainer and the bars for the snare gate's butt ends! it's super cool this is from your father!! does it have any ply separation or re ring separation all easy fixes, cool drum you have here.D' Drummer

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Look like the re-ring is seperating at the res side. You can, and should, re-glue it. If you need help, just shout, we can help instruct you as to how it is done.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Very Nice! I'm restoring my '67 Slingy kit, and love the way yours looks! This might be a good time to use Maguier's or 3M cleaner/polish on the wrap before you put the hardware on. They remove oxidation and scratches nicely. A drill polish bonnet or buffer does wonders!

Show us the after pics...Good Luck!Cool Dude

Posted on 14 years ago

From Batter Head

Very Nice! I'm restoring my '67 Slingy kit, and love the way yours looks! This might be a good time to use Maguier's or 3M cleaner/polish on the wrap before you put the hardware on. They remove oxidation and scratches nicely. A drill polish bonnet or buffer does wonders! Show us the after pics...Good Luck!Cool Dude

I will thanks. I gently used Novus 2 and finished with 1 on the wrap. Looks pretty good. I just need some parts. I was trying to figure out why the snare gate is so off until I realized the holes were not drilled properly. If you look at the photos you will see the gate looks like its bent. Must have been a Friday in the 50's.

I would definitely like to re glue the glue rings. I've never tried it, so I could use the direction. Any post you can forward me or better yet videos?

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here