Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

My Slingerland Piccolo Snare drum

When I retired as a manufacturer's representative, the owner and staff of one of my best and favorite customers gave me a retirement gift. The store is one of the top retailers in Houston for new, used, and vintage guitars. They are also one of the nation's top vintage drum shops. I have done a lot of buying, selling, and mostly trading of vintage drums with this shop for more than 25 years. The owner knows my preferences for drums. He knows that I love Slingerland drums and smaller snare drums. I was blown away when he presented me with this vintage 1950s Slingy Piccolo 4 x 13 s Radio King. I know that it has been re-wrapped and is probably made up of salvaged parts. But, it a treasure that plays and sounds like a million bucks.

I was perusing eBay yesterday to see what kinds of vintage Slingerland stull was available. I stopped short when I saw this listing for the twin of my perfect little snare drum. Te seller claims that is is a catalog model from the 1951 Catalog listing of a bebop set. The WMP is nicely aged and all of the specs he lists coincide with my snare drum. He thinks that his drum is worth $2,500.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

It is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203792507896?hash=item2f72fae3f8:g:RkcAAOSwUjth4wXx These BOP snares were available for over a decade. This one on eBay has the '50-'53 brass oval badge and the wrap extends into the scarf joint which is correct for '56 and earlier drums. The shell is 3-ply. Unfortunately, there is at least one non-factory hole and the throw off is not original to the drum either (it is a 60's model).

Posted on 2 years ago

The guy listing that drum has a long history of asking absurd prices for drums that are incorrectly described as something that they are not. I know that my little bop snare is not all original. I'm very good with this. It's value is all academic because I'll never part with it. I think that my drum has the proper strainer and badge. The re-wrap does not go into the scarf joint.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here