Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

My next Project... 1964 Club Date

I recently picked up this set from the original owner's family and was told that these were bought together as a set. Sizes are 13,14,22 with matching Jazz festival snare. These sizes seem a little strange together. Mainly the 14" FT. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyhow, these are in very nice original condition and just need a good cleaning and polishing. I may refinish the BD hoops but will decide that after I get into it a little further.

Here we go.....

Posted on 10 years ago

I think they were still doing 12x15 Floor toms the year before or so and the late 50 early 60's were 13" and 22" drums. Could have just been left over set up. Sweet set!

Curtis

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Curtis! I guess I'm just used to seeing a 12,14 or 13,16 set up.

Well, I got off to good start this afternoon and cleaned up the snare and put a fresh set of heads on it. This one showed a light fade after removing lugs, but nothing out of the ordinary and virtually scratch free!

The chrome cleaned up pretty nice as well.

I need to pick up a new set of wires and cord and it will be ready to play again.

I think I'll stick to doing one drum at a time like Jeff C suggested so it's not so overwhelming. Thanks Jeff!

Posted on 10 years ago

Looking good!

What did you use to clean the wrap and the hardware?

Jeff

1960s Ralston (Star) set in Red Agate Pearl 12/12/16/20
1961 Ludwig Cocktail Lounge drum 24 x 16 in blue sparkle
1966 Ludwig Hollywoods in Sky Blue Pearl 12/13/16/22
1971 Ludwig Super Classics in Blue Sparkle 13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Vistalites in Blue 13/14/16/22
70s/80s Ludwig orphans in Black Cortex "Bonham" style 14/16/18/20/26 (B/O Badges)

Many snares
Posted on 10 years ago

On this one, I stripped all the hardware off and started on the shell with goo-gone to remove the sticker residue in a few places.

After that, a good wipe down with 409 to remove any excess sticker glue and grime. Then one light coat of mcguairs scratch remover to take off any light scratches and general haziness.

Then I finish up with a few applications of any good car polish.

I've been using Zaino Z-5 because it's what I have on hand for detailing cars.

I always buff well between coats so I can remove any excess and check my progress as I go.

On the chrome I use Noxon ( this stuff is potent- use in a well ventilated area) or Brasso to remove all the gunk and to clean and bring out the shine. Then a good wipe down to remove all of the product and gunk.

Finally, a couple of soft t-shirt or flannel rags ( one in each hand) and buff until you think you can't buff anymore!

If your chrome is really gunked up I usually use a scotch brite ( with very light pressure) with the cleaner to loosen things up. I have not scratched any chrome yet with this method yet, but you never know so check a small spot first! You can also soak all the chrome hardware overnight in blue Dawn dish soap and warm water to loosen things up.

My wife loves waking up to a bathtub full of drum parts in the morning when she goes to take a shower!

Thanks for looking,Randy

Posted on 10 years ago

Those are really nice, excellent score! Lots of fun cleaning and polishing those old drums. My wife thinks Im nuts, but she just dont get the "labor of love" factor.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

Here they are after a good cleaning and polishing.

I also decided to go ahead and refinish the hoops.

I'll get some better pics later when I have more time.

Posted on 10 years ago

great job on those. superb!

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

Nice job Randy. I like the bigger 22-16-13 size too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Good work sir!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here