Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

My new Tama Swingstar find

Hey - it's been a while since I've been on here, but I made a good trade the other day so I thought I'd come by and show you guys and see if anyone knew anything about them. It's a 6 piece Tama Swingstar setup, no snare, but 22" kick and tom sizes of 8", 10", 12", 13" and 16" floor tom. It has the black T badge and a pretty cherry red wrap. They're in really good shape...I'd say a 7 or 8 out of 10. The best thing is, I traded a set of drum mics I no longer use for them.

Does anyone know anything about these? I'll attach a couple pics of the 8" tom. Thanks!

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

They are entry level Tama's, poplar shells. Nice wrap! Guitar Dude Man

Posted on 13 years ago

Any idea what vintage? I know the swingstars are and were entry level, but this set seems to be pretty well made actually. Even with the old beat heads on it, they seem to sound pretty darn good. I'm having a hard time though finding them in any Tama catalogs online to see when they were made. The lugs are different from a lot of the swingstars I've seen...and the badge seems to be slightly different too, not to mention the serial number.

Posted on 13 years ago

hey dude . your kit was made in 86/87 . the give away is the lugs . i seen the tama pages and the 85 lugs are much different than yours . your lugs were first seen on a 86 swingstar till about late 87 .tama soon after changed their lug's and they looked more like sonor type . i think your kit is great and under rated.a very 80's rock kit with the 80's rock sound and i like it . i had the same exact kit same finish . years back when i sold the kit i hung on to the 18" ft cause i liked it so much and i still got it . if you like to add to your kit i would be glad to sell it to you . i think it would be a nice add on to your kit . i should have never sold that kit :(

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

I have to agree this set that Tama did was awesome!! they are zilco lined and that is the coating on the inside!! the three tier lugs are what make is more impressive then the other Tama lugs!! I have had my Swingstar that is exactly like that for over twenty years!! I still love playing on it!! Good Luck and Enjoy it!!

Mike

Posted on 13 years ago

those lugs started in '84, prior to that they were kinda like teardrop/ludwig classic looking. I have an Aspen white 1984 red T badged six piece 10,12,13,16,22,6.5 that I have been adding to over the years, (added an 8" 14" and 15") I would really like to rewrap but Tama glued the wrap all the way around.

also Tama made a Swingstar DX with black metal bassdrum hoops, touchlock tom holders, and pinstripe heads

Zola-coated Basswood (or luan) these Xtras sized toms KILL!

(why can you not find a tom deeper than 10" anymore?!?)

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 13 years ago

ive got a dark blue one,very underated drums.big booming sound along hayman lines.i love em

69 super classic 63 supra paiste 2000
Posted on 13 years ago

From cancerdude

Hey - it's been a while since I've been on here, but I made a good trade the other day so I thought I'd come by and show you guys and see if anyone knew anything about them. It's a 6 piece Tama Swingstar setup, no snare, but 22" kick and tom sizes of 8", 10", 12", 13" and 16" floor tom. It has the black T badge and a pretty cherry red wrap. They're in really good shape...I'd say a 7 or 8 out of 10. The best thing is, I traded a set of drum mics I no longer use for them.Does anyone know anything about these? I'll attach a couple pics of the 8" tom. Thanks!

Hey, I would love to buy the 16" floor tom from you. Please let me know if you want to sell it for $50. Thanks, John.

Posted on 13 years ago

From frupydrumming

Hey, I would love to buy the 16" floor tom from you. Please let me know if you want to sell it for $50. Thanks, John.

Good grief, are you an idiot? The man is offering a complete KIT, not a single drum. Why do you people show up looking for part outs? Why don't you just buy the whole kit and sell off what you don't want, A$$hole....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From jonnistix

Good grief, are you an idiot? The man is offering a complete KIT, not a single drum. Why do you people show up looking for part outs? Why don't you just buy the whole kit and sell off what you don't want, A$....

Laughing HLaughing HLaughing H I will agree with you 100% i had my first run in with that guy

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here