Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

My Most Recent Acquisition!

Hey everybody!

Saw these advertised locally by THE ORIGINAL OWNER, no less. He bought them in 1972.

I had never seen a double kick setup for Star before, but after searching the 1972 catalogue, there they were! And this guy had all of the original hardware too.

When I went to see them I thought they may have been a re-wrap, but again, in the 1972 catalogue, the very last colour choice on the page of choices is Jet Black, which these are.... a kind of a semi-gloss euro-black look.

It has the only double tom holder stand I have seen so far, and a 10-lug, King Beat snare....heavy... and original to the kit!

SO.... I bought 'em.... with the two zildjian cymbals pictured, not the hats.

The only real problem is the original owner, in his youth, removed the Star badges!!! Just like the recent thread on the forum, he regretted doing it, and he made some replica Tama badges for the kit, which is why you see them in the pics. So I am on the hunt for original badges, but I need 5! Might take awhile....

Just thought you would want to see them.... I'm excited to start cleaning and detailing.

Scan of 1972 catalogue pic of this exact set-up just like it was sold (except the wrap!)

Bryan

3 attachments
1985 Tama Superstar piano black (original owner)
85-86 Tama Superstar piano white
early 60's Trixon Luxus champagne
mid 60's Star WMP
early 70's Star 'silky blue'
early 70's Stewart metallic blue
early 70's Stewart psychedelic lava pearl
late 60's Coronet bronze strata
late 60's Coronet blue diamond pearl
2004 Arbiter Flats Pro
early 70's Stewart Fantasia pearl
early 70's Star blue satin flame
early 70's Star jet black double kick kit
Posted on 12 years ago

More pics....

also, forgot sizes.... kicks are virgin 20 inchers, 12 and 13 rack tom and a 16 floor. Snare is 14x5.

Bryan

3 attachments
mid 60's Star WMP
2004 Arbiter Flats Pro
Posted on 12 years ago

Oh man!What could be sweeter than those.Original stands,logo bass heads,grey interiors,teardrop lugs,King Beat snare.Amazing stupendous,colossal.......Some collector in Japan is weeping cause you bought his dream set!

Posted on 12 years ago

Nice to see long BD spurs for a change. Great looking kit!

Posted on 12 years ago

Hello Bryan,

Although black is not my fav colour, this is a great find. The snare strainer should have cap nuts at their ends, but this is just a small detail. It's sweet that the genuine drum key appears to be still in place (in that small black pouch at the floor tom). It should be an L-shaped one ...

Wish you best of luck in find the matching STAR badges!

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice find!

Teardrop lugs are my favorite shape.

George.

Posted on 12 years ago

Pretty cool nice find.

Posted on 12 years ago

Bryan!!! What a beautiful set! As many know on VDF, I am a huge fan of these old Stars! Ralf posted some pictures of mine for me on The Drum Image Gallery ( STAR Drumset in Turquoise Sparkle). You are a lucky man, sir!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey Skink - Nice score! Did I see that listed on Kijiji a while back? Got a favor to ask you - I've been looking into getting some vinyl, rub-down bass head logos printed, and am about to put up a post looking for reference material. Noticed you've got a couple of nice Star logo heads there - I would be grateful if you could possibly provide me with either a 300 dpi scan, (if you're planning to disassemble) or a high quality, straight on photo of one of these logos. My plan is t collect some of these logos to use for templates, and produce some vector artwork to be printed. Not sure what my production costs will be, but I figure if I can collect a few that I could sell here on the forum, or on Feebay, it could make it worth the trouble. Was thinking I could offer a free logo to whomever can supply me with a useable reference scan/shot. Will make a separate post for this, but thought I'd run it by you here first. You could send it to me @ [email]dorzelblatt@hotmail.com[/email]. Same goes for anyone else - currently looking for Star, Hoshino, and Coronet, (working on a Stewart logo right now). Any other suggestions will be considered as well. P.S. I'm also looking into the viability of producing some foil adhesive repro badges as well - I think the main hurdle here will be the die-cutting, but will keep you all informed. Thanks.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for all the kind replies and positive comments! It was particularly cool to buy them from the original owner, and I think he wanted to sell them to me too, after he found out how much I am into these kits and restoring them.

Ralf - good eye on the snare strainer nuts... I didn't know they were missing, so thank you and you are right, it has the original pouch and key, and it is a stubby L-shaped key. (actually there were two keys with pouches that came with it along with some other hardware and some spare heads)

Daddynowhere - yes you saw it on Kijiji, got your PM and will respond later today when I get home from work. I would be glad to try and scan or photograph the logo for you. I have both different Star logo heads... the one with the penta-star behind the word and the one with just the word "Star" in script. I also have a Coronet logo head and a couple of Stewart heads that might be helpful. I will be in touch on this later today as well. I'm supposed to be working!!

Bryan

mid 60's Star WMP
2004 Arbiter Flats Pro