Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

My Leedy Dual

OK, so, as I "posted" in my first post, I've been here a while now reading, educating and just plain enjoying the photos.

It was about a year ago that we were given an old drum set. A bit of an eclectic set as it was pieced together from 3 old sets. It had the Leedy Dual snare from 1937, the Singlerland RK bass from the same era (Cloud badge) and another snare, made by Capri of England that had been converted into what you could call, a low profile tom. There was also a Chrome Premier snare that had been given new life as a floor tom.

Everything was a complete mess when we got it. The kit had been loaned to a teenager up the street and by the time it returned home and then to us, the original skins on all had all been split. There was one small Italian splash that had been cracked on one side and a chunk broken out of the other. Another cymbal (made in Japan) had a very large dip in one of its' edges.

I have since brought it very much back to life. The BD was a lot of work to bring back to life........I wish I had taken before and after shots.....

I have been focusing now on the Leedy snare. Its' missing a few key pieces (the internal snare assembly, head damper etc) and I've decided that, through a friend, I would have a couple of them fabricated. Here's a photo of where I'm going. I at least have the one tensioning knob to work off. What I don't have, is any image of the small retaining box that fits in and holds the snare wires - am I making any sense??

Anyways,

Here's some pics - you might recognize it from the gallery as the 37 Leedy Dual Full Dress

Thanks for any input or help.

Bradford

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's cool that you actually have a fabricator who might be able to create reproduction parts. i cannot help you with your Q...you my try contacting Maxwell's Vintage Drums in Chicago....I believe Steve Maxwell now owns the rights to the Leedy name and they have a lotta info. They may be of help. It's a sweet, sweet ol' snare...glad you were able to, um, rescue it....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

It seems I am certainly in luck. At this certain shop, so I've been told, these guys can get bored from time to time so they do little "fun" things on the side. Looks like the tensioning knob will probably set be back about 1 case of beer (24) maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Regardless, it'll be chromed too!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here