Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

My first set restoration

I've had the great fortune to get a 1967 Ludwig drum set in oyster blue. They are missing bottom hoops and several lugs on the bass drum but otherwise it's all in great shape. I do have a few questions that I can't seem to find out from the forum. The bass drum wrap has what looks like duct tape residue on it so what would be the best way to remove it without damaging the wrap. The inside of the shells are dirty as well. Would a Mr. Clean magic eraser work or is that too rough?

Plus, would anyone have any lugs and hoops avaliable for sale? Thanks guys

Posted on 11 years ago

PM sent about parts.

Posted on 11 years ago

I've used both WD-40 and Goof Off to remove tape gunk, Good luck with your restoration.

Posted on 11 years ago

The Mr. Clean magic eraser is pretty good for overall cleaning. I've not had much luck with the cheaper no-name versions, though.

For tape residue just about anywhere I use a spray pump bottle of Goo-gone (available at Walmart and the like), applying it to the tape residue area, let it set a while, then when I go to clean it off I pour some rubbing alcohol on as well (90% is best). Sometimes just a cleaning rag will do the trick, and when it won't I use a real soft-bristled tooth brush (kids -- do NOT use your parents' brush!).

Good luck with the project... and oh, yes: we all like pictures!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I've used some goo-gone on chrome rims and pedals to remove stuff but I was a little concerned about using it on nearly 50 year old wraps. I also didn't want to cause any of the interior paint to strip if I used something too harsh. I'm documenting the entire process from the time the boxes arrived at my house to the time they are completely finished.

Here's a quick shot from last night.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

THe guys have given you very good advice so there not much more to add. But like Bill said, please post pics olong the way. We love to see pictures before during and after. And by the way, blue oyster is my favorite wrap. I also have a bop Ludwig kit and I just love it, its my baby.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

In looking at the wrap it has faded on the top of the bass drum and toms to a greenish color but the bottom of the bass drum is still blue. Is there any way to try to clear up this or is it just going to be like that? I did read on another post about using something to remove the yellowing from WMP wraps. Could this help?

Posted on 11 years ago

The best thing I've used to remove duct tape residue from heads and hardware is kerosene. I don't recall ever using it on wraps but it never did any damage to clear drum heads. It's quick and requires very minimal scrubbing.

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here