Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

My first kit

I am looking for any information about my first drum kit.

The only name I can find is Jazz Master. It has a blue flake finish and was originally purchased in the mid sixties.I got it as a three piece kit. Bass, snare,mounted tom.Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Glen if you can snap a couple pictures.. including the inside of the drums that would be a help.

It's not a brand name I have run across which kind of leads me to believe it could be a "stencil" kit. I.E. drums made in Japan to look like American drums.

Couple pics would help.

Welcome.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jim,

I'll post some pictures today.The set does say made in japan. The snare seems to be made mostly of plywood.The set is not the best quality but I would like to restore it and possibly use it on a future gig. The set was bought by my moms cousin who tragically died in a motercycle accident. I want to restore the drums and give them to my son someday. I hope to be able to find a matching floor tom. Thanks again.

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry I cant seem to get the pics to upload.My email is [email]glenboden@hotmail.com[/email]. I can send them that way if anyone is interested. Thanks. Glen

Posted on 14 years ago

Glen, did the badge look like this?

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

It's not the same.Check your mail. I sent the pics to you. Thanks again!

Glen

Posted on 14 years ago

Pics of Glen's 3 piece blue diamond pearl Jazzmaster set:

(Maybe a moderator could move this thread to the non-USA section?)

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

And pics of the edges and interiors:

Posted on 14 years ago

That is an awesome looking set, Glen! The wrap is just beautiful! A very nice deep blue and no detectable fade!

I am very partial to black diamond pearl finishes, but I have to say that this shade of blue really contrasts with the lighter part of the finish to a much more spectacular effect than most of the MIJ black diamond pearl that I've seen. The blue color in the few other examples of MIJ blue diamond pearl I have seen are much lighter than this. Yours is by far the most visually compelling that I've seen.

Also, this is a really interesting set as it looks like one of the earlier stencils. The badge looks like a Star stencil badge, but doesn't say 'World's Supreme Quality' and just says 'Japan' instead of 'Made In Japan.' The lugs look like Star's version of the Slingerland copy, and the flat tab tom mount and t-rods look like Star's hardware as well. However, as I've found out recently, you can never be too sure... I will be interested to hear what Ralf, O-Bop and Jonnistix have to say.

In terms of restoring the set, it depends on how far you want to break it down. To me, it looks like it's in good enough shape to throw some new heads on it (especially the snare, and I think you'll be suprised to hear how good the snare will sound with just new heads) and give it a go. But if you want to do the whole lugs-off process, we can help with that too.

Posted on 14 years ago

Oh yeah.. very nice Glen. I'm in line Mr. Cn there, that wrap is really pretty. Could be a long hunt for a matching floor tom but you could go with just about any floor tom till you finally find a matcher.

Luan shells with re-rings, 8 lug snare, heck you can tune those up beautifully.

NICE kit, great example of an early MIJ stencil.

Google up George's drum shop in Akron, Ohio. He might be able to point you at a floor tom... and he doesn't have JAZZMASTER on his list of "Every Drum Brand Ever" list so send him a badge shot.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here