Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

My BR 4x14 Snare Drum Build!

Finally! After more than 2 months, my shell has arrived from Drummaker! I had it drilled for lugs only, as I wanted some of the fun of drilling some holes! Already drilled for the air vent and butt. The badge was installed with a Slingerland-style aluminum repro grommet. I did an excellent job of flaring the grommet with my flaring tool. Came out pretty good! The badge was purchased from an eBayer who we loathe! I purchased it as the serial number of 135xxx is very close to that of 3 of my other drums, all of which are 135xxx. What were the odds I ever find a closely matching badge?!

I realize I should have gone with the chocolate milk interior, but chose to use a thin coat of Poly Acrylic to seal and protect it. Plus, I do like seeing the maple interior!

As you can see, I went with re-rings. Sure got lucky that my small bolt/washer combination fit! Well, 22 of them did! I had to slightly modify 10 of the washers to clear the re-rings. Did a good job, too!

I'm going to install the heads and hoops so I can better determine where to place the Zoomatic strainer. My strainer does have the cutout to clear the top hoop, so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Anyway, I'm very excited to complete my BR snare drum and try it out with my kit. I may have to pony up for the COB Stick Choppers at drumfactorydirect!

Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Sweet drum...

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

WOW! That is a beautiful drum. Hoping to see it with the rims on.

Posted on 11 years ago

That is fantastic! That looks like a seriously fun project. Glad you didn't paint the interior. That maple inner ply is too great to cover.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

Mark,

Looks GREAT!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

Hey Mark,

The 70'-71' BR replica I was able to find (#56419) has a factory clear maple interior !,so we now know they didn't paint all of them. I'll measure the snare and butt plate locations ASAP and get them to you in case you get antsy with that drill and don't want to wait for the paper pattern. By the way,the stick-chopper repros are a LITTLE different (slightly diff snare gate profile),but overall a nice cob facsimile rim at a reasonable price. Also,the drum looks GREAT in silver ! Dave

Posted on 11 years ago

From famousdave

Hey Mark, The 70'-71' BR replica I was able to find (#56419) has a factory clear maple interior !,so we now know they didn't paint all of them. I'll measure the snare and butt plate locations ASAP and get them to you in case you get antsy with that drill and don't want to wait for the paper pattern. By the way,the stick-chopper repros are a LITTLE different (slightly diff snare gate profile),but overall a nice cob facsimile rim at a reasonable price. Also,the drum looks GREAT in silver ! Dave

Dave!

Good news, indeed, about the clear interior! Yes, I did get antsy about finishing the drum, so I won't be needing your template. The good news is that I actually found a diagram I made years ago from a MusicYo 4x14 snare drum, showing where to mount the Zoomatic. Turned out perfectly! No problem with the butt, too, although when mounting the tape for the snare wires, it showed that the butt is just slilghtly off-centered toward the right! Oh well, I certainly won't loose sleep over it!

Mark

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments! Stayed up late last night to complete the drum. It turned out great! I borrowed the COB hoops and heads from my 1967 Artist snare drum, also in Sparkling Silver Pearl! Took pictures this morning for all to see.

You should be able to see the cutout from the Zoomatic, to be able to clear the top hoop. This was done for me by a friend who owns a custom metal fabrication shop. Came out great!

Yeah, you can also see some "gunk" on one the lug nuts next to the Zoomatic. I still need to polish all these parts. Just wanted to get the drum together and see how it looked. I also have the shorter lug nuts which barely protrude from the lug and may consider using those.

Well, I bit the bullet and just ordered the COB Stick Choppers to adorn my drum. Also ordered a set of German wires, which should be lower sounding than the wires currently on my drum, which are too bright sounding.

I'm very pleased with my custom BR 4x14. It's a drum I always wanted to try out, but not able to afford the real thing!

Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

That looks very very nice! I also finally got a shell from drummaker, took two months and about four phone calls. So when I get time I will get to have fun like you did!

Once again, nice job!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

That looks very very nice! I also finally got a shell from drummaker, took two months and about four phone calls. So when I get time I will get to have fun like you did!Once again, nice job!Jeff C

Hi Jeff!!

Yes, it appears to be a LONG wait time for Drummaker! I always received a few emails saying that the drum was "looking good" and "ready to ship in a few days". The bottom line is that the shell turned out great. I did order vintage roundover 30-degree edges, but they look like 45-degree with a back cut to me! Haven't yet heard from Andy about this.

Have fun with your build, too, and post pictures!

Mark

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here