Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.66597%

MY 1963 LEEDY 4th of JULY KIT

Some time ago I picked up a 3-piece 1963 Leedy Silver Sparkle Kit that needed some TLC.

I decided to turn it into a "patriotic" kit just in time for the 4th.

I removed and cleaned all the hardware on all three drums, then polished the silver sparkle wrap on all three shells. I then started my search for the missing Leedy hardware, which I was fortunate enough to find. I then painted the hoops blue and installed red sparkle in-lays. To complete the bass drum, I added a red, white & blue American Bald Eagle on the resonant head.

Finally, I added an old Rogers' eagle-badged Banner snare drum custom painted by the "punkdrummer" to complete the kit.

The other three drums are all Leedy's with 1963 stamps on the interior shells.

Happy 4th to all the forum members and their families!

If you happen to run into a vet during the holiday, make sure to tell him or her "THANKS"!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Great-lookin' set, OldSchool man !

Patriotic though I am, I'm not so thrilled with the blue bass drum hoops, but it looks damn fine indeed !

Find yourself a couple Slingerland stands, and it'll be a bit more authentic, since those Leedy kits were actually more Slingerlands by that point.

Do you prefer the snare stand for the tom as opposed to the original bass-mounted tom holder, or is it more for securing it as a gigging kit ? I'd be all smiles and warm and fuzzy to see a set like that at some local gig some night !

Man, ya gotta send that photo to Steve Maxwell - he'd appreciate it. He now owns the Leedy name and all rights, and has been manufacturing new Leedy snare drums.

Great job, OldSchool !

Posted on 15 years ago

Beatnikjazz: THANKS for taking the time to view my post and also for the kind words!

In regard to your questions --

I wanted the hoops to be a vibrant ocean or sky blue in lieu of a "darker" shade of blue since I wanted the color to give the kit a little more "life." I've added a few close-ups, showing the hoops with the red sparkle in-lays. To me, that color combination just screams U.S.A.!

The stands in the pic are a couple Ludwig flat base stands I just grabbed for the pic. Your comment regarding the Slingy stands is appreciated and I do happen to have several of those from that time period. If I ever do play this kit out I'll definitely do so with the Slingys. THANKS for the recommendation!

Finally, although the kit did come with its original double tom mount and post (see pic), I'm having a little trouble with the screw that tightens the post is somewhat stripped and I've got to work that out. The current set-up is a lot sturdier also.

Since I'm retiring after 30 years of service with the U.S. Department of Defense on July 3rd I wanted to have the kit completed prior to my personal "Independence Day."

Posted on 15 years ago

I would be so proud to play that kit. I spent my time in the service and my wife retired as a warrant officer 6 years ago. I've been looking for a Slingerland red/white/blue patriotic kit in good condition. Love your kit.

Posted on 15 years ago

GOD BLESS AMERICA! That is one of my favorite looking patriotic sets I have ever seen! Even though it is the only one I have ever seen.LOL

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here