Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

muffling Rogers XP8s

Do any of you have some ideas as to the best ways to cut down the ring or overtones of the toms while playing live.I don`t want to kill the sound just shorten it up some.Any input would be helpful.Right now I`m using hydraulic batter heads with dead ringers,and since the old Rogers bottom heads are in good shape I`ve not yet replaced them.I have an aquariun 3 on the kick batter and a remo diplomat,with felt strips,the dynasonic is not a problem with the hydraulic and internal muffler it sounds and projects just as designed.By the way I have a 8x12,9x13,10x14,and 11x15 rack and stand mounted toms and a 16 in floor the bass is 22.Thanks Gary Van Fleet,Omaha

Posted on 17 years ago

Number one question would be, how high up are you tensioning those heads? What kind of music are you playing.

Other than that.....

New heads would be a good start. Evans EQ2 or 3 on the BD, Fiberskyn Medium on the Reso, no muffling. Solid. Ambassador Coated or clear on the Batters and Diplomat Clears on the Resos. Those drums came with single ply Ambassador weight heads. or XP8s probably had a choice between coated ambassador, and black dot Control sounds on top and clears on bottom. If I remember right.

I use for the most part, Ambassador coated on top, diplomat or ambassador clear on bottom. Powerstroke 3 batter and Fiberskyn3 reso on the bass. Thats whats on my 77 Big R set, 24-13-16-18

On my 1965 Blue Glass Glitter Dayton kit, Ive got Aquarian Satin on top and diplomat clears on bottom. Fiberskyn 3 Reso, and an SK1 ... 20-12-16

On my 1964 Red ripple, its Coated ambassador on top, clear on bottom, Fiberskyn 3 reso, SK1 20-12-16

My 1980 xp8 set has Coated ambassadors on top, clear dips on bottom, Fiberskyn3 Reso on the bass and an evans EQ1, 18-12-14

All seven of my dynasonics have coated ambassador on top, and either diplomat or ambassador snare sides.

These drums all sing. No muffling, no gaffers tape, no duct tape, no huggy bears. Solid Reso heads on all the bass drums.

I only have one set that has a mic hole.

76, 20-12-16, Ambassador Coated, Ambassador Clear reso, BD, Aquarian Reso, Fiberskyn 3Powerstroke3 Bass drum batter.

They all play extremely well live.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Ploughman:So what you are saying is let them ring?It`s not a problem with the music you play?We play mostly classic rock,stones,beatles,van morrison,ccr,and the like with a few country rock songs thrown in to keep the natives rested.I just have noticed that the rack mounted toms seem to pick up some ring from the kick itself,mind you I am nit picking,after all I have some of the best drums that have ever been made.IMO Gary Omaha,Ne

Posted on 17 years ago

I play in church on the worship team. We arent baptists. And I play in churches and out, with a Gospel group. I use 7As in wood for the most part. Tips if things really get going. 5As if the situation warrants. And some brushwork. The only muffling Ive got is on my Bass drums, in the SK or EQ heads. The only muffling on the Resos is the double layer logos, and the shield logos. If you have a resonance transfer through the Bass drum support tube and the memrilock tom mount riser tube, you might try stuffing a bit of cotton ball in the end of the tube. You wont need to cram it full. Just a few balls at each end should cut that resonance transfer. And it wont affect the overall sound of your drums. I would dump the dead ringers. Unless they are giving you the sound you want. Pull those Rogers stock heads, bag them and save them for later.

Heres a pic of my 5 ply memrilock Rogers

1 attachments
Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here