Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Movie Musicians Rant

My wife and I just got through watching Kevin Spacey's fantasy/biography of Bobby Darin called "Beyond the Sea". I didn't think too much of the movie but the music was great and Spacey did a pretty decent job of singing the Darin parts. Here's what bugs me: why is it that movie producers can list every carpenter, gaffer, driver, ad nauseum down to the guy who fills the toilet paper in the porto-potty but almost never credit the musicians who perform the soundtrack? On this film they did credit the guitar, drum, and one other tutor who worked with Spacey but I would have loved to have seen the list of guys who actually played the charts. The drummer on the film did a good job of looking like he was playing but you can never be sure. Of course anyone who danced a step in the picture got credit too. This isn't a rant just against this movie but when was the last time you saw the "actual" musicians get credit for their performance on a film? Does the contractor just forget to send a list to the producer of who got a paycheck?:mad:

Posted on 18 years ago

Interesting, and I have never been that observant when I watch a movie. They have to be getting paid something for the work or is it because they might be studio cats they do not qualify?

Hmmmm one of those unanswered questions.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes David, I was thinking about the "studio" thing too but since the music is a part of the movie (they did list the orchestra leader and music contractor) I still don't see why the guys playing are just forgotten about. I mean c'mon when they have lists of people who are the caterers (an outside company) show up regularly on film credits I just don't get it. I may check into this further and if I can get some information I'll report back.

Posted on 18 years ago

Well for anyone who cares I decided to pursue this. I blew an e-mail in to the LA musicians union and was pleased to get a response from one of their officials within a couple hours. The short answer is that since the big shots have little or no contact with the musicians they just overlook the whole thing. I guess being "on set" gets you more exposure to the right people who then feel obligated to stick your name on the end of a movie even if you're just the guy who puts out the tray of pickles for lunch. He did acknowledge that if directors and producers cared they could in fact find out who the performing musicians are and give them credit. I guess it's an "out of sight, out of mind" type situation. Maybe I'll start a campaign and begin with Spielberg, Lucas, etc. FYI

Posted on 18 years ago

I find it rather interesting and wonder why the "Union" never made it an issue from the beginning and gave the "Cats" a plug on the big screen.

One motto that I use daily is " If you don't ask you don't get "

DOH

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Hmmm could be another example of the union looking out for its membership. Oops did I just say that? Maybe the cats should join the caterers union.

Posted on 18 years ago

I got another reply from Local 47 agent Carmen Fanzone (yes the Chicago Cubs Carmen Fanzone). He said this has been something they've been trying to negotiate with the movie industry folks for some time. Essentially the producers just won't hear of it and stonewall the union. I don't suppose it's something worth striking over.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here