Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Mounting two racks toms with virgin bass drum?

Quick question on tom mounting options using a virgin bass drum. So, I usually use just two toms - one up and one down, which is of course the correct number of toms, but I'm entertaining the idea of using two 12" rack toms, just for a change and I'm wondering if that would work if they were on snare stands? I would like the two toms as close together as possible, without actually touching each other. I was thinking that maybe one, or both should be mounted off cymbal stands, but I don't like to do that because I use vintage flat based stands that are probably not the sturdiest for mounting 12" rack toms off. I do have some double-braced, modern stands, but they're no use for vintage cymbals with the smaller bore hole, whereas, you can put both modern and vintage cymbals on the old stands. Anyone out there mount two toms without using the bass drum or an insightly rack system?

Cheers for any info. And sorry in advance if there were any spelling or grammatical errors. I don't have time to proof read and I ain't got no learning and I always make errors. I'm just going to assume there's an error or two in there. Ha ha.

Posted on 2 years ago

Need to know what type of mounting brackets are being used on the toms...L-arm, etc.

Ludwig has a nice L-arm double tom stand...Basically, ALL the manufacturers have a double-tom stand of some kind, but they all are different. So, it's important to know the type we re talking about.

I never saw a double snare drum stand mounted option, though. That would be a first for me.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

Need to know what type of mounting brackets are being used on the toms...L-arm, etc.Ludwig has a nice L-arm double tom stand...Basically, ALL the manufacturers have a double-tom stand of some kind, but they all are different. So, it's important to know the type we re talking about.I never saw a double snare drum stand mounted option, though. That would be a first for me.

Thanks, O-Lugs! The toms are Rogers Holiday, but I don't have the mounts, so I've been just using one on a snare stand. I'm not a fan of having the two toms off to the left on a single stand. I'd like to have one tom in front of the snare and the other to the right of that, so, I was wondering about how to mount the right side tom. I guess I'll have to find a Rogers tom mount and connect it to a heavy-duty cymbal stand to the right of the bass drum (from the player's perspective).

Thanks for weighing in. I hadn't thought of the double tom stand.

Posted on 2 years ago

Here is another idea. Put some mounts on the extra bass rim and off you go.

Posted on 2 years ago

It seems like you’ve shot down all of the ideas. If you don’t like the toms to both be mounted to the left of the bass drum, then there goes the double tom stand idea. If you use flat-based hardware, there goes the idea of mounting each tom off of a cymbal stand. You don’t want to use a rack. You could *try* mounting both in snare stands, but I imagine they will be spread too far apart for your liking. I dunno. There has to be a concession somewhere.

Probably the simplest solution would be switching out the cymbal stands for some that would support tom mounts.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here