Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Mounting system for vintage 14" Ludwig tom

I'm looking for a new mounting system for my Ludwig mid-tom but I'm not sure what to get. Here's some specs: 1977/78, 14x10, 6-lugs, 3-ply (maple/poplar/maple), re-rings. I currently just have the stock dual L mount. One of the problems I'm having is that the tom sounds awesome and super resonant in low tunings when I'm holding it by the rim, but when I mount it on the L mount it almost completely deadens the sound. I was looking into the RIMS mounts but unfortunately it seems they were discontinued, and all the 14" ones were completely sold out from their remaining stock. It doesn't seem like there are any used ones floating around either. Anyone have suggestions on what I should get? I'm looking for something that will give me more freedom in terms of positioning, it's really hard to get it in an even remotely comfortable spot that's not so high I'm hitting rims (the kick is 24" so that plus the 10" depth of the tom is very high).

Posted on 2 years ago

Ludwig sells a new lug/mount combo that's supposed to be pretty cool. I'll see if I can dig up a pic or video link in a subsequent post...It doesn't require any permanent modifications....simply replace one of the original lugs with the new one....fits into the same holes.... It's supposed to increase resonance and sustain.

I mostly play small drums tuned to high pitches for small combo jazz....well...I did when I was gigging years ago...and resonance/sustain had never been an issue, but I understand what you mean. Stay tuned...I'll look for a link to the system I'm describing...

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Check out the mounts that Inde Drum Labs makes. They make a single mount or an lug/mount combo.

Inde is run by the same engineer who used to work for Ludwig and designed the aforementioned Atlas Lug/mount combo mount.

The Inde stuff is simpler and lighter and while I haven't used their mounts, I have heard a lot of positive comments.

https://www.indedrum.com/suspension-tom-accessory-brackets/

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here