Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Money no object. What is the best finish?

This would be for 1947 to 1952 Slingys. Outside shell's only. Want to highlight the wood. Magohoney/Oak. Putting nothing on the interior.

Thanks!!

Crieghton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

BDP?..WMP?Eye Ball

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 11 years ago

BEST??

I don't understand the question.

Best for what?

Sound? Looks? Protection? Sale-ability/collect-ability?

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

Gold, Baby!!

[img]http://static-photos.weeloop.com/rsbeats/2011/01/spaun-gold-drum-kit-21069.jpg[/img]

Posted on 11 years ago

Well gold is out only because it would hide the original wood :-)

>>Sound? Looks? Protection? Sale-ability/collect-ability?

Sound foremost: Don't want to put any coating on that kills the warm tone.

Looks: 98% of the kit is nickle RK plate. Don't know which of gloss/satin or ?? on the wood is going to look the best.

Protection: Kit will not be doing any traveling.

Sale/Collect-ability: Not for sale and the originality of this kit was destroyed 40 years ago before I bought it. Just want to bring it up to best possible restore. Then play the kit for the rest of my day's.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Creighton

Posted on 11 years ago

From Creighton

Well gold is out only because it would hide the original wood :-)>>Sound? Looks? Protection? Sale-ability/collect-ability?Sound foremost: Don't want to put any coating on that kills the warm tone.Looks: 98% of the kit is nickle RK plate. Don't know which of gloss/satin or ?? on the wood is going to look the best.Protection: Kit will not be doing any traveling.Sale/Collect-ability: Not for sale and the originality of this kit was destroyed 40 years ago before I bought it. Just want to bring it up to best possible restore. Then play the kit for the rest of my day's.Thanks for any suggestions!!Creighton

It's hard to beat Hi Gloss Natural Maple, Walnut Stain or Mahogany Stain...The Slingerland Badges look great with Maple and Slingerland made some of the finest shells in the industry throughout those years. Definitely the Hi Gloss wet look.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Slingalud

It's hard to beat Hi Gloss Natural Maple, Walnut Stain or Mahogany Stain...The Slingerland Badges look great with Maple and Slingerland made some of the finest shells in the industry throughout those years. Definitely the Hi Gloss wet look.

+1 with what Slingalud said. Either of those finishes would look great!

Posted on 11 years ago

+2 on the natural wood finish. Cannot be beat ; )

Posted on 11 years ago

If it was me and money was no object it would be pink oyster pearl!

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks all !!

I'm thinking high gloss clear. The lg beavertail oak outside shells were mahogany

stained. Poorly, streaks etc... Same stain/high gloss varnish used on the small beavertail lug mahogany shells. Made them too dark. Lucky it was cheap crap and comes right off. Don't mind a bit the kit will be mismatched wood and color wise.

What brand do you folks like for best high gloss clear? I can set the spray booth up when / if it stops raining. Thinking a thicker coat on the problem shells may require a darn good brush. Wet sand, repeat...

On track here or derailed?

Any help is welcome.

Creighton

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here