Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Modern heads on a vintage drum

Hello All, Its been a while, but I am in need of some guidance. I have an aluminum bass drum from Barry that I am trying to resurrect for a drum set. It measures 23" and I was able to find 23" Remo heads however they appear to be a bit to small (even though they appear to nest perfectly in the calf heads). I could retuck the original flesh hoops but I really need modern heads to hold up to the double bass pedal. I was considering separating the metal ring of the head where Remo joined it to get it to fit the shell.I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it was successful or not.

thanks tom

Posted on 4 years ago

If it’s really close to fitting you could try cutting the aluminium ‘flesh’ hoop (just the aluminium, not the Mylar!) which might open it up enough to fit.

Before the Remo Classic fits arrived I used to do this on all my heads to get them onto my 26/13/16 radio king kit, it was even necessary on Aquarian American Vintage and Evans 360 heads to get them to sit right. Now I just need them to start making 26” Classic fit heads...

If cutting the aluminium hoop isn’t enough you might have to venture down the path of custom sized made-to-order heads from Remo, although I understand these can take anywhere from several weeks to several months.

Posted on 4 years ago

Thanks for the help. I ended up making 8 cuts in the flesh hoop and still couldn't get it to seat. I had to get my guitarist to assist me and i was able to get it seated and back together. If i can figure out how to get the pics from my phone to download to the forum I'll post the results

Posted on 4 years ago

I think sometimes, you just have to come to the conclusion that an old oddball drum just won't work for your needs, such as the one you have. Maybe it's time to rethink your plans for it.

It might be better used as a hip coffee table! LOL.

Posted on 4 years ago

Take a actual measurement of the diameter of the shell have remo custom make the heads for you. just a warning. remo custom makes heads ever 6 months. so it make be that long before you get the head, Just depends where you fall in the order line up. I've had them make a lot of custom heads for my late 30's early 40's radio kings.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here