Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

MIJ - Victoria

Picked up this kit at an out of the way pawn shop ... 20,13,16 in what appeares to be YCS finish (Yellowed Champagne Sparkle??), with ReRing Luan shells. Floor Tom has the badge, I have the badge for the Bass Drum though it needs to be reattached and the rack tom's badge is missing. I can't find any real info on Victoria other than the name appearing on "500+ drum brands of the 60's" list ... I assume it's a stencil kit.

ReRing shells indicate mid 60's ... right?

Any ideas on whether it's Pearl or Star?

Anyone know any more about Victoria?

Sorry, no before photos ... the drums were dirty but in fairly good shape ... just took everything apart and cleaned then reassembled ... about 7-8 hours total for me and my 17 year old son. It was some real quality time working together. We got a lot of info from this forum to help ... Thanks!

It was kind of a sentimental purchase since it looks just like my Dad's old kit (Kent 1500 in similar looking finish, no floor tom) that went with his house after he passed. This has been a great experience fixing up with my son and he plans to use it in his jazz combo at school ... wish it really was my Dad's old kit. This won't be our last restoration and we learned a lot and will do better the next time.

For $170 the 3 drums came with all the original hardware (kick mounted cymbal arm, spurs and rack tom mount) and:

An old Kent Snare and stand (have not tackled that yet, it has a replaced throw and is a little rougher overall, same vintage I believe, and very close to the same finish)

A junky old 20" ride cymbal

Working hi hat stand with Vader 14" hats (actually sound pretty good)

We put new G1's on top and bottom of the toms and a PS3 batter on the bass drum ... the front head is an Ambassador weight smooth white head. We're still working on the tuning ... sounds good but not great so far ... suggestions are welcome.

FYI ... the blue sparkle snare in the photos (kind of hidden) is an old Whitehall that I aquired separately ... still needs some cosmetic work but sounds great with a J1/Diplomat snare side on it.

Posted on 11 years ago

Hi..Welcome to this great forum!! Now onto your set.

First let me say you and your son did a great job on re-storeing the set.

The set was made by Pearl in the mid 60's.The Victoria name was one on many name's that they used.Some people think that it's maybe a Star made set because of the three rings inside the bass drum,but Pearl also did this too.

The mount for the cymbal "L" arm,T-rods,tom mount on the bass points and tells me that it is a Pearl made set.Also the fatter floor tom legs and the mount's.For the 170.00 that was a good price that you paided for the set its alittle high but the set turned out looking great.

The Victoria name drum's were sold on the west coast by many music store's.....Mikey

Posted on 11 years ago

The kit looks really great. Nicely done. I am glad to hear that this was a great father/son project. Well done indeed.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys ... I got a lot of information surfing the topics here that helped.

Mikey ... thanks for the info ... I was hoping for a Star (I have 2 80's Tama kits and that would have kept things in the family so to speak) ... but mostly just happy to know more about these drums. I bought the kit near Seattle so the West Coast Music Store scenario makes sense.

Posted on 11 years ago

Congrats on your find and welcome to the club. Nice story of you and your son working on the drums. Like the others I think you guys did a super job on them. The "YCS" wrap looks terrific. I myself am a fan of these mij kits. They have some really nice wraps and sound just fine to me.

Nice job!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

This was made by Hoshino (K), not related to Star.

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here