Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

MIJ tension rods

I just bought an "Aria" MIJ; 12, 14, 20 with a matching but faded snare. They are gold oyster pearl and i am missing 3 tension rods - 2 at 2 1/8 inches and 1 at 1 1/2 inches. Current rods don't fit. Does anyone have some?

mark

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello,

Tension rods on vintage MIJ drumkits are tricky: some threads maybe metric, others are in inches/ BS or even still more different. To find additional vintage tension rods in the same size as required is nearly impossible nowadays (my experience).

The best way is not trying to find fitting screws but substitute the inserts in the lugs against new ones and add new and fitting tension screws thereafter.

Inserts can be made compatible (fining down into a fitting shape) into the lugs, if they are not suitable in the first step.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

In my opinion, Ralf has hit the tension rod right on the head! Pearl! Star! Rivals! Associates! Who knows? I recently acquired a Star cocktail drum from around the early sixties. Some of the t-rods were missing. The correct thread and size seemed impossible to find. The solution? Either use a tap or follow Ralf's advice which is practical and sound.

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here