Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

MIJ stencil v.3 - Apollo WMP 5 piece

I've been meaning to post this set for a while, but having stumbled upon the matching snare today, I think now is the right time.

Here we have a united, yet unrestored, 5 piece white marine pearl Apollo set with the Sonor copy tear drop lugs, 12/13/16/20 and matching 14 snare. If someone has a scan of an Apollo ad matching this set, I'd appreciate it if it could be posted here. I belive this is a Star made set.

Scored this set at a pawn shop several months back and played it at rehearsal while I was restoring my gold/ginger sparkle stencil set. I found it in its almost original state. Some heads had been replaced, but there are still some Apollo heads still on it. There is a little rust that I need to get around to cleaning up, but since I needed a set to play right away, I just threw some new heads on, gave the hoops a once over, dabbed some 3 in 1 oil on the lugs and tuned them up. Sounded pretty decent right away other than the floor tom having some overtone problems. I think some experimentation with heads could solve this. But the 12" tom sounds nice and full at a medium tuning. Bass drum has the original reso head with a 5" inch hole and a very old clear Emporer batter. Has a nice warm sound. Unfortunately, there was only 1 BD leg.

The wrap shows how the drums have been used over the years. They are bubbling in a few places (you can see where they are rising on the pic of the 12" tom) and have a few small tears, but the wraps have mellowed and look pretty good overall.

The mounting hardware I cant really figure out. I know there are some parts missing, but I'm used to these drums coming with a rail mount, nothing like this. (If someone has a pic of what this mount would look like all together, please post it!)

The snare I just found tonight when I went to look at another drum set. Totally random that the guy just happened to have a this snare laying around. I'm gonna grab some hoops in the next few days an work on getting it together. The drum set, I did end up buying, and is kind of a calamity which will be posted about later, maybe here, and maybe on the restoration forum.

VIVA MIJ WMP!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

AWESOME score! Got to love it- finding the pearl in the farmers field.Congrats! I love those lugs. Seriously, with that beautiful snare- sand the bearing edges a little to smoothe them up and take a wood file and cut in two sweet, wide and moderately deep snare beds- that drum will articulate!

Here is a great tutorial on how to cut your own snare beds.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

Dude, those are so cool!!! I love those lugs. I really want a set of Stars with that set of hardware, and I don't care what the wrap. I think that is the hottest set of hardware I have seen on these MIJ kits. I am [COLOR=darkgreen]envious. [/COLOR]

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the comments, the tear drop lugs are pretty sweet. I need to check the snare beds to see what shape they are in, but it looks as though someone did sand them a bit. I'll definitely report back when I get the snare up and running. I think it might be a good canidate for a Fiberskin head.

Do you guys have any idea about the tom mount?

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow! Really nice set. I love the WMP too. Yeah those Sonor style teardrop lugs came out in 1967, look great and are rarer than the rounded style. I have a 20,12,14FT,16FT pre Tama set in WMP with the Sonor style lugs as you probably know, with a ten lugs steel snare with the teardrop style snare lugs too. Until now hadn't seen another WMP with those lugs. I look foward to seeing how it restores up.

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

I've been meaning to post this set for a while, but having stumbled upon the matching snare today, I think now is the right time.Here we have a united, yet unrestored, 5 piece white marine pearl Apollo set with the Sonor copy tear drop lugs, 12/13/16/20 and matching 14 snare. If someone has a scan of an Apollo ad matching this set, I'd appreciate it if it could be posted here. I belive this is a Star made set.Scored this set at a pawn shop several months back and played it at rehearsal while I was restoring my gold/ginger sparkle stencil set. I found it in its almost original state. Some heads had been replaced, but there are still some Apollo heads still on it. There is a little rust that I need to get around to cleaning up, but since I needed a set to play right away, I just threw some new heads on, gave the hoops a once over, dabbed some 3 in 1 oil on the lugs and tuned them up. Sounded pretty decent right away other than the floor tom having some overtone problems. I think some experimentation with heads could solve this. But the 12" tom sounds nice and full at a medium tuning. Bass drum has the original reso head with a 5" inch hole and a very old clear Emporer batter. Has a nice warm sound. Unfortunately, there was only 1 BD leg.The wrap shows how the drums have been used over the years. They are bubbling in a few places (you can see where they are rising on the pic of the 12" tom) and have a few small tears, but the wraps have mellowed and look pretty good overall.The mounting hardware I cant really figure out. I know there are some parts missing, but I'm used to these drums coming with a rail mount, nothing like this. (If someone has a pic of what this mount would look like all together, please post it!)The snare I just found tonight when I went to look at another drum set. Totally random that the guy just happened to have a this snare laying around. I'm gonna grab some hoops in the next few days an work on getting it together. The drum set, I did end up buying, and is kind of a calamity which will be posted about later, maybe here, and maybe on the restoration forum.VIVA MIJ WMP!!!

Hey Wow nice set..If i recall right i have most if not all the tom mount pieces you need..Can you post a photo of the mount on the tom...Then i will know for sure it i have all the parts for the mount..Thanks mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Mikey, do you have a complete set of these teardrop lugs for Star drums???? I love them, and would shange out mine in a heartbeat!

From MIKEY777

Hey Wow nice set..If i recall right i have most if not all the tom mount pieces you need..Can you post a photo of the mount on the tom...Then i will know for sure it i have all the parts for the mount..Thanks mikey

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Mikey, do you have a complete set of these teardrop lugs for Star drums???? I love them, and would shange out mine in a heartbeat!

Good Luck Laughing H

Posted on 14 years ago

From tada---da---da--da--daaaa

Good Luck Laughing H

......whut.....I know, but a brother can dream.....

Posted on 14 years ago

I've seen this double mount set-up-similar to 60's-70's Gretsch.Double clip mount.You could have a metal worker fab those up pretty easily and even put some dimples in it for the adjusting stops.Carriage bolts and wing nuts to hold them on.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here