Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

MIJ (Star) tension rod question.

This is probably a question that has been addressed in the forum, but my research didn't turn up much.

Is there a readily available source for rods that will work with MIJ (Star specifically) lugs? The lugs are the Sonor teardrop copies. I have played with replacing the slip nut with a more standard one, but none that I had laying around (Ludwig and Pearl) will fit without modification. I called DFD and posed the question, they didn't think any of the rods they had would work.

It's looking more and more like I may be stuck trying to find vintage ones, so if anyone has 20 or so laying around let me know.

Thanks,

AL

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Al!

I feel your pain with the tension rods! Yes, they are metric. I'm not sure of the size and pitch at the moment. I have quite a few vintage Star drums with these metric rods. Have to treat them like gold!

What I've done in the past is to re-tap the original metric nuts to standard 12-24 thread and use "normal" tension rods. Never had any issues doing this, since the metric nut is very close in diameter to 12-24 rods. If you just can't find those metric rods, you can re-tap!

I obtained my Majestic snare drum without tension rods. I wasn't aware at the time they they needed these rare metric rods. Nothing would fit! So, I re-tapped to 12-24 and it's a great drum!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks Mark. Re-tap is something I considered but have never done, but hey, I fixed the microwave my daughter killed this week so I am feeling the Can Do spirit.

If I can't find some for sale soon, I'll give that a whirl.

AL

-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:

Modern Drums:
Posted on 5 years ago

Im sure someone on here has put inserts into those lugs to accept standard tension rods.

Posted on 5 years ago

From idrum4fun

Hi Al!I feel your pain with the tension rods! Yes, they are metric. I'm not sure of the size and pitch at the moment. I have quite a few vintage Star drums with these metric rods. Have to treat them like gold!What I've done in the past is to re-tap the original metric nuts to standard 12-24 thread and use "normal" tension rods. Never had any issues doing this, since the metric nut is very close in diameter to 12-24 rods. If you just can't find those metric rods, you can re-tap!I obtained my Majestic snare drum without tension rods. I wasn't aware at the time they they needed these rare metric rods. Nothing would fit! So, I re-tapped to 12-24 and it's a great drum!-Mark

Mark your snare drum looks absolutely fab. Nice to see these snare drums properly restored. Great looking wrap could put that snare with any kit.

Posted on 5 years ago

From seantdrums

Im sure someone on here has put inserts into those lugs to accept standard tension rods.

I'm sure someone has! It's just a matter of finding which, of dozens, will properly fit. I'm not sure if I've ever tried actually vintage Slingerland inserts with these lugs, but would be interesting to see if they work and keep anyone from having to re-tap the existing metric inserts. Still, sometimes it just gets to difficult to track down the metric tension rods, so you do what you have to do!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

From seantdrums

Mark your snare drum looks absolutely fab. Nice to see these snare drums properly restored. Great looking wrap could put that snare with any kit.

Thanks for the compliments! I've got some really nice looking snare drums in my MIJ collection. Honestly, I really think I like my MIJ collection more than my US snare drum collection!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Posted on 5 years ago
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:

Modern Drums:
Posted on 5 years ago

From Mr.Toast

I called DFD and explained my need to them, they said nothing they had would work? Maybe the person I talked to was uninformed?

No, not uninformed! The vintage metric tension rods are closer to 5mm, actually around 4.9mm I believe, and have a thread pitch that is no longer used. I found an old post about this, showing that the threads matched up to a 28 TPI (Threads Per Inch) gauge.

So, unless you are very patient and want to wait for these tension rods, do what I did...just re-thread to 12-24. It's really easy to do!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here