Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

MIJ snare ID??

Picked this up at a garage sale for 10 bucks the other day. It sounded like a wet paper bag with the heads that came with it. So I threw on a diplomat I had laying around and it still sounds like a wet paper bag. The bearing edges look like they where chiseled into shape. I'm going to try and sand the rough spots and see if it helps.

I know it's long shot but does anybody recognize that throw off? It doesn't have any other identifable markings.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

The strainer is just one of dozens of designs that were incorporated into MIJ snare drums. I've got a snare drum with the same strainer and lugs. It's obvious that the lugs and strainer are modeled after Gretsch, with the strainer looking like a Microsensitive. I'm not sure if the drum was made by Pearl or Star (Tama). Others may chime in with more information!

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago

The wet paper bag sound might also be modeled after Gretsch.

Whoa! I kid, I kid....

Posted on 9 years ago

In order to get it to sound good, you have to do what needs to be with all snares with old heads - give them all new heads and a good set of wires............

It may turn out to sound great once that is done - but you can't give it a fair shot until you replace the old worn out consumables. I recommend the standard Remo Coated Amb and the Amb snare bottom - and some of those Puresound Knock-off German made wires sold by drumfactorydirect. (Or just some Puresounds)......Yes, as you likely know most of this.....good wires make a significant difference.

I had an old Pearl made that I had some double 45s cut on - top and bottom - and the snare just came to life and became the best snare I had at the time.

I would not hesitate to cut the edges on that - risk/investment is low. I would even do it myself if I were you (if you have a router/router table) Even if you have no table I have seen people mount their router on a board (plenty big) and then cut by moving the table/router around the shell instead of the shell around the router/table.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 9 years ago

Same drums and hardware, different badges. I like the MIJ Mojo. :)

Posted on 9 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

In order to get it to sound good, you have to do what needs to be with all snares with old heads - give them all new heads and a good set of wires............It may turn out to sound great once that is done - but you can't give it a fair shot until you replace the old worn out consumables. I recommend the standard Remo Coated Amb and the Amb snare bottom - and some of those Puresound Knock-off German made wires sold by drumfactorydirect. (Or just some Puresounds)......Yes, as you likely know most of this.....good wires make a significant difference. I had an old Pearl made that I had some double 45s cut on - top and bottom - and the snare just came to life and became the best snare I had at the time. I would not hesitate to cut the edges on that - risk/investment is low. I would even do it myself if I were you (if you have a router/router table) Even if you have no table I have seen people mount their router on a board (plenty big) and then cut by moving the table/router around the shell instead of the shell around the router/table.

The heads I put on where used but still had plenty of life. I'll try a thicker head to see if it has more mojo. I'm not a fan of diplomats, way to bright for my tastes. I don't think re cutting is necessary, I'm pretty confident I can sand out the rough spots.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here