Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

MIJ Slingerland stick saver copy WMP

Hello all! I havent posted in awhile but i thought i would share one of my recent buys. Im wondering if anyone could narrow down the make of the drum..i know it is most likely one of Pearl's many 60s brands but there are no other indicators. I was kind of surprised that it had rerings on it but also unpleasantly surprised to see that the thin shell has started to buckle under tension. I have heard that this is a problem for these thin Luan shells. Im also wondering if theres anything i can do to stop this or save it from caving in. It only cost me 60$CAD which as about 10$ more than i wanted to pay but it was for a gift (my gf plays drums too) Is there a chance that it will still be playable for awhile to come? I figure it will be hard for it to stay in tune but so far it has been pretty good with keeping a nice Crack sound and the bearing edges seem to be pretty decent. Ive had to get the edges fixed on other MIJ snares in the past but ive never had this caving problem before. Thanks in advance! Cheers

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

It is going to depend on how badly the lauan is caving and at what points as to whether it is going to be salvageable. You can strengthen that/those area(s) with another piece of an already dead shell. Also, I will lacquer these as well. If they are already going downhill, I tend to use 3-5 coats of good clear lacquer.

Now as to the ID....the muffler knob looks like a Pearl, but some of the other parts look like Star. My best guess is Pearl though.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here