Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

MIJ lug inserts

Just a thought and a question ...

On these old MIJ Star restorations ...

Has anyone ever considered having inserts fashioned so that they could use standard (eg. U.S. non-metric) tension rods? I would think there might be a market (albeit a potentially short-lived one) of folk who would like to convert. I'm finding it a major PITA to find tension rods and this is what got me thinking. Hmmm ....

I am making an assumption here, that a different brand inserts would not fit in my beloved STAR pointy casings. Maybe I should try that before jumping to conclusions. hehe

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

I know a source over here in Germany, ST-drums.

But surely someone from the US will chime in and post names from US sources, too.

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago

Are those the fine-threaded metric rods? If so the inserts are very small compared to American 12/24 inserts.

Posted on 7 years ago

The only stencil kit I had was about 5 years ago, but I seem to recall the threads being larger than US...not positive though. I'd be inclined to get a few sample swivel nuts from Precision and play around with fitting them into your casings...perhaps a Dremel or bench grinder to slim down non-fitting shoulders, etc.

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago

I'm assuming that you've already tried the standard, 7/32" inserts that Gibraltar sells?

I've had to replace swivel nuts on many an MIJ kit, and I've never had a problem swapping out the old swivel nuts and putting in the new, modern Gibraltar ones. They have always fit fine with no modifications. I do agree that it is much easier than finding tension rods.

From Gibraltar's Website:

SC-LN

Small Swivel Nuts 7/32

Small swivel nuts fit most tom and snare tension rods. (12PK)

They also make a 6 mm swivel nut as well, available in packs of 12. All aftermarket tension rods today, to the best of my knowledge, are 7/32".

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

vyacheslav,

I had no idea! Thanks so much. This is huge information for me.

-Doug

Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Doug....Sent you a PM ive got the four badges and all the rods you need. Go to Message.......Thanks.....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Sean,

Just sent you another PM. Thanks!

-Doug

Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here