Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

MIJ kit purchased by famous drummer!!

I should have posted these pictures a long time ago. Well, better late than never! This kit was a 67-69 Whitehall (Pearl) in beautiful Red Glass Glitter. I upgraded the mounts with Ludwig, as no additional holes were required. I left the original rail on the bass drum, but installed the Ludwig upper portion. All-in-all, a beautiful kit. I listed it on eBay and it sold for $330. Received an email from the buyer asking if he could come by and pick them up, as he lived in Los Angeles. Turns out the buyer was non other than John "Bermuda" Schwartz...drummer for legendary Weird Al Yankovic! I was completely stoked when John came over. We spent a fun hour together talking drums. I questioned why would he buy this MIJ kit when he could have pretty much any high-end kit he desired. The answer? John started out with a Ludwig kit and never had the fun of an MIJ kit. John said mine was the cleanest and nicest kit he'd seen! Thanks Bermuda!!!

Hope you all enjoyed my little story and the Whitehall kit!

5 attachments
129.9 kB
134.5 kB
98.2 kB
124.5 kB
132 kB
Posted on 13 years ago

Met him after an Al concert back in 2000 up in Buffalo. He was such a sweet guy. Seriously strong hands.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

I ran into Bermuda a few months later at the Hollywood Drum Show. He said he loved the Whitehall kit!

Posted on 13 years ago

That's a cool story!

Oddly enough, I sold my BDP Whitehall kit on ebay to a famous drummer as well.

It was about a year ago, I sold my 4 piece Whitehall kit (which looks to be the same as yours, except no rail mount, it was a hex rod mount) on ebay. As I went to ship the drums and look up the address it was: Matthew Chamberlin, Seattle WA.

I asked via email if it was "THE" Matt Chamberlin. He gave me a "ha ha" said that he was, in fact "THE" Matt Chamberlin and he was happy to have my kit!

Double odd is that not two weeks earlier, I sold an old Grestch snare drum on ebay to "F. Banali". It was none other than Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot!

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, huh?

Posted on 13 years ago

A great story! Thanks for sharing! Cool1

Posted on 13 years ago

You should have asked Bermuda about cymbals.....

What the heck does he have? 400 or 600 of them? Can't remember.............

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

From blairndrums

You should have asked Bermuda about cymbals.....What the heck does he have? 400 or 600 of them? Can't remember.............

Ya know, we never did talk about cymbals! I'm sure I would have been blown away!Funny Post

Posted on 13 years ago

Jon's a great guy and a good friend. He is uber-knowledgeable about drums, and likes to collect offbeat kits and drums in great condition, and THAT kit looks like it was in GREAT condition. Nice score for Jon. I wouldn't mind 'em myself.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

Nice looking Whitehall,a buddy of mine had a red sparkle eons ago.Bermuda posts a lot on another forum,and I always enjoy his posts,he has a vast amount of knowledge on all aspects of drumming and is a wellspring of useful info coming from a consumate pro.

Posted on 13 years ago

Great stories, guys.

Like to add that I sold one of my Star KingBeat snare drums to a famous Germany drummer: Gomezz of the group Reamonn. Turned out that he is collecting snare drums...

How we came together? Well ... via ebay. One year ago I was extremely eagier to buy another KingBeat snare drum, from which I knew it had the exactly matching badge to my Star drumset, so my high bid was EUR 230 or so. Until a few seconds before ending, I was highest bidder at a level of around EUR 70 (... and I was almost looking forward to receiving a bargain Jump For Joy) ... when it was pushed up in the very last second to EUR 175 Hmmmm ......

Yes, I was the winner, but who the heck was that second bidder (you might imagine his facial expression - something like: Eye Ball, I guess LoLoLoLo) when he found out NOT being the winner at EUR 174 Hurting)???

So I made contact via the seller, asking this second bidder if he was interested in my other KingBeat snare drum, same configuration, but just with the 'wrong' Star badge on it. Turned out that it was Gomezz, and yes, he bought mine at almost that price level afterwards ...

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here