Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

MIJ drum key question

Acquired a 60's Norma 6 lug snare this week. Looks to be original with the exception of the snare side head. Shell has re-rings. Nice shape. Ran into an issue for the first time. None of my drum keys...and I have plenty...fit the tension rods. The keys are too small. Very strange. Anyone run into this before? If so, what works? I noticed that an open end 15/64" wrench I had fit them pretty well. 1/4" was too small. Thanks.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

Hello Mike

Yes I have run into that very same thing

usually on 60's non-star Hoshino made drums

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply Kenwood. Is there a key that we are missing? Did you find anything that worked?

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

Hi Mike!

I've also had this same experience. For myself, I just went through all the drum keys I had and found one that worked! I would imagine it just comes down to machining tolerances with those older tension rod heads.

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Mike I have no drum keys, in my limited collection of them, that fits those rods

I think I may have used a small eight sided socket

In my case, the first time I ran into this was on a orange sparkle "Decca" snare drum

definitely non star Hoshino made

and one could almost see the difference in size just by looking

the square portion looks shorter in height as well as being oversized

If you have any non-star Hoshino toms? try one of those rods

The threads might likely be the same with the head being more standard

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here