Picked up a set of mid 70's Slingerlands on craigslist on Tuesday. They seem to be the Super Rock outfit - judging from the sizes and the serial numbers. The logo seems to be the more football shaped on with serial numbers in the 240xxx's, so my guess would be '74 to '76 range. Does that seems about right?

The ad said they were a 1961 set, so I was a little diappointed when I got there to see that they were much later. But what hooked me was the size of the toms and bass. Bass - 14x24, toms 9x13 and 10x14, and a 16x18 floor tom. That 18" floor tom was almost as big as the bass I grew up playing! The black wrap is almost perfect on everything but the bass. There are a few medium size scratches on the top of the bass. All the chrome on the mounts and hardware are in really good shape - just need a cleaning. The down side is that all of them are missing the bottom rims and tension rods. Seller said he bought them that way. I think I have already sourced most of the replacements locally, but I need to find a 24" wood rim for the bass. Because the bottom rims were missing, the bottom bearing edges have been a little roughed up. Nothing bad, just not as good as they could be.

The set came with the snare, ludwig speed king pedal, Slingerland hi hat stand with Paiste 14" 404 hi hats, a Zildjian 20" Earth Ride (heavy as hell), a 20" Krut special ride, a few other Slingerland cymbal stands, two thrones, two snare stands, a few other misc cymbal stands, and the set-o-matic tom mount.

The seller was really nice and hated to see them go, but figured they would be better off with someone else rather than rotting away in the garage. I can appreciate that kind of attitude. He even knocked down the price since I was going to replace the rims and tension rods.

I'll get pics up later since the wife has the camera out of town. But it looks exactly like the one in the catalog pics for '77 - '78.