Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Mid 70's 5.5x14 Slingerland COW 3-Ply Artist model snare

Hi guys,

I have a Mid 70's 5.5x14 Slingerland COW 3-Ply with/Reinforcing Rings Artist model snare drum that I purchased a few years ago. About two years ago I stripped the original Lacquer from the interior, I thought it looked too dark and too amber at least to me. I then lightly sealed the interior with Nitrocellulose dead flat lacquer-two coats. I then noticed the interior Maple ply of the shell started to get light surface cracks in the wood!! So I then resealed with about 6 to 8 coats with the same lacquer finish. Recently I noticed light surface cracks on the interior surface again!!!! Is this normal for a Slingerland snare that is only 34 years old? I know, maybe I should have not messed with the interior? Maybe this is my fault? I have kept this drum away from moisture as well. What is the deal? Again these cracks are on the interior Maple surface and are only surface cracks. They are not all the way through the entire Shell. Any advice or info would be great. Thanks for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 15 years ago

Over time this could have happened on its own with the original finish. But, the original finish which, I agree, wasn't exactly beautiful back then, usually was so thick that it didn't happen. Chances are when you refinished, it soaked in a bit more than the original had.

I don't know if that can be alleviated or not, though. Maybe a cabinet maker would have this knowledge ? or try the Drumshed forum.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here