Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Mid 60's Sonor Throw-off

I have a chance to buy a really clean set of mid-sixties black sparkle Sonors. The 5x14 wood snare drum has the 8 up/down lug arrangement(total of 16). The only thing that I'm hesitant about is the throw-off/strainer assemblies. One side has a round, black plastic capped mechanism with throw-off lever and the opposite side has a chrome plated threaded rod (with hole for string) and a round,flat chrome tension adjustment knob. The wires are missing. My question is... how do you attach the strings to the black capped piece? I know the cap is removable. Any pix, advice would be most appreciated. Thanx in advance

Posted on 12 years ago

The lever must be pushed to the side a bit, attach the strings, & then they are pulled tight as you push the lever up. There is a small wire loop on (like on a necklace ) to hold the strings.

1 attachments
59.7 kB
Posted on 12 years ago

T Dennis- thanks alot! Is this throw-off design practical? Does it work OK? Is the drum worth getting??

Posted on 12 years ago

I would say a definite yes, if the throw & butt are all intact. It's not a great system to begin with, & needs to be looked at carefully. (of course the price, & condition are what make it "worthwhile"). Your lucky to find a snare that has the front pop-on strainer cover, most are missing. (remember, many sellers will not know what parts are original, or missing, on these old snares). They also have a large & complex muffler.

Posted on 12 years ago

So, if the one I'm interested in looks like your pic, it's complete? The muffler is missing the felt pads. Not a biggie... I don't usually muffle my snare drum. Did Sonor use beech shells??

Posted on 12 years ago

My snare is missing the front cover. Sonor snares/drums were well built, but there is always an engineering weakness on many great drums. The most frequent design weakness is the strainer system. If you find a drum where everything works, then get, it & be aware that it may take some special care. Google "Sonor Museum" to get an extended, detailed examination of all things Sonor.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here