Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Mid 60's RB Gretsch Dixieland Snare

Just thought I'd give an update on my find.....not really a restoration, more of a cleanup job. I've touched up some of the chipped black lacquer paint and buffed and waxed the shell. Cleaned all the chrome hardware, installed new heads and changed out the Puresound Metrix 30 strands I put on it. Sounded good by itself, but a little unruly in a live situation....talk about sympathetic tom-snare buzz! UGH! I decided on Aquarian's classic clear snare side and a simple Texture coated for the batter. Nobody, I men nobody around my area sells Aquarian's vintage series of heads and same with Remo's Renassaince heads. So I figured these were a compromise for a classic 60's sound. The Remo Ambassadors on the drum when I got it looked in good shape, but when I took the drum apart to clean it, I found the snare head had a tear in it at the hoop and the batter head was so overtightened at one point that it had a definate crater forming in the middle of it! SO on went new heads and at the same time after trying out the 30 strands and finding them soooo unruly on the first gig I used the drum on I swapped them out to a regular set of Puresound 20 strand wires. A few more bucks but worth the expense over the metrix I think. I have a Gretsch internal muffler and a new keyholder and key on the way for it, as the original key is missing and the keyholder on the drum is missing its retainer clip for the key.

As far as the throw off goes, I'm finding it extremely difficult to locate an original renown type throw off. I thought about retrofitting a Lightning strainer and butt but then there would be even more hole in the drum and I think 10 in the throw off end of the drum is enough already! Yes I said 10! Eye BallMind Blowi

The Yamaha throw has to go as it loosens up from time to time. So, I think I've decided on fitting a Ludwig Millenium throw off instead of a Gretsch, there are holes there that line up with Ludwig's throw off bolt pattern and the Millenium will add some class to the drum while covering up about 6 of the holes already drilled in the drum and I won't have to drill the shell anymore! The butt end is not original either as I found out, but fortunately there aren't any extra holes drilled on that end! I'm considering swapping in a Ludwig P33 diecast butt end too, but may leave this one be. I suppose that depends on if the P33 needs new holes drilled or not. I'll have to do some measuring and figure that one out before I order it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Update....I sold this drum to a friend a few months ago....he has since run into money trouble and I have purchased the drum back. So......I've decided the Yamaha throw is going in the spare parts bin, and the drum is going to get wrapped in White Satin Flame! Also, the throwoff I'm going to fit is a Gibralter Deluxe standard type throwoff, the same one used by Gretsch on all non-USA custom series drums, so I guess technically it could be considered a Gretsch piece. As close as I think I'm going to get since the renown strainer seems to be even more rare than a micro-sensitive strainer.....go figure! Also, going to try the new Remo Skyntone heads on this one. This time around its going to be a keeper! WalkingYes Sir

Posted on 15 years ago

Ok, so the restoration is finished. I wrapped the drum (can't really say re-wrapped because it was never wrapped, however the tag inside was inked 4105, then grease penciled over the 5 with a large 4..... so it could be considered a re-wrap) in white satin flame. I swapped out the Yamaha throw off for a Gibralter Deluxe generic type throw off, mainly because it is a current Gretsch offering and because I have not been able to find an original Renown throw off and the Ymaha just plain had to go. I fitted new Remo heads, and ambassador snare side and one of the new Skyntone snare batters. The head is a little bit more lively than a fiberskyn, but a little more dead than a renaissance head. I'll post pice of the stripped shell prior to wrapping and then pics as the progress went along.

Posted on 15 years ago

The next batch of pics are after wrapping and most of the hardware was refitted. I had to re-attach the paper label inside as the 40 some-odd year old glue let go on it! LOL! Like I said the tag showed it was supposed to be a 4105 model originally (pearl wrap finishes) but the 5 was grease penciled over with a 4, obviously done at the factory from day one as this was a black lacquer factory finish. Maybe they ran out of 4104 labels that day? Who knows.....anyway, note the multiple holes drilled in the shell in the above pics for the throwoff.....I count 10! YES TEN!! Four were for the original renown throw off, two were from the Yamaha throw off last on it, two appear to measure the same length as a Ludwig or Slingerland Rapid throw off, and two others I can't figure out what brand they could have possibly been!

Not to worry, as I did not have to drill MORE holes for the Gibraltar throw off.....the holes from the Ymaha throw off lined up almost perfectly!

Anyway, I also fitted a set of Puresound 30 strand Metrix series snare wires and used Puresound cord rather than the mylar tape or wire they provide. So now it sounds as good as it looks! Well, it always sounded good, so maybe I should word that the other way around? x-mas3

Posted on 15 years ago

And finally here we have the finished assemble fully restored drum. I have to say that the Satin Flame wrap was the easiest wrap I have ever dealt with. Much easier than sparkles or traditional pearls, and 1000 times easier than a glass glitter wrap! Now, to find a few more orphans to re-wrap to match this drum....Cool1

Posted on 15 years ago

Lookin' good LD. I used one of these wraps (different color) and loved the ease of use. Great job.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

Lookin' good LD. I used one of these wraps (different color) and loved the ease of use. Great job.

Thanks Michael Cool1 I found the satin flame the easiest to work with, probably due to its thickness, or lack thereof, compared to other wraps. My first time doing a satin flame and I'm diggin it! Reminds me so much of one of Elvin Jones' kits from when he was with Coltrane. It just looks right on this drum as opposed to the black lacquer.

Posted on 14 years ago

Groovy. Love it. That'd look cool with my gold satin flame RB kit. :D

Posted on 14 years ago

From Rob G.

Groovy. Love it. That'd look cool with my gold satin flame RB kit. :D

Well Rob, every man does has his price....LoLoLoLo

Posted on 14 years ago

Unfortunately this man has spent all his allowance money for a while. Pics to come soon. :D

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here