Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Metronome

Getting back to practice after many, many years.

Any suggestions on which brand and/or model of metronome would be a good "pick up?"

Thanks!Cool Dude

Posted on 15 years ago

Something cheap and digital, Korg makes one for $15. You might have to plug in some headphones based on how loud you play. I use this one for snare practice...it's a breeze to use and it will get the job done.

Something expensive and sweet...Boss BD-90-I think it' around $100..digital, all notes can be used, even triplets..equalizer for each individual note, tap feature, either 1/4 or 1/8 headphone jack option, you can plug in a pedal to stop and start the machine, memory function to program your set list..there's a lot of features, yet, very easy to use. I use it for solo, band practice, and shows, when needed. Oh, you can mount it on a stand and it can stand up on it's own. There's a few options on the metronome sound, but, nothing radical. It works great, never had a problem. Marching bands use this one a lot. It's pricey, but, if you need a metronome for many different situations, it will shine.

Can I make a joke? On a vintage drum forum, you should get that giant metronome, that clicks back and forth with the analog tempo settings.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 15 years ago

My favorite metronome has been my REEEEELY old black box. It's got a bpm dial on the front and a large-ish light on top. I plug it into the wall and set the bpm. It gives off an audible click along with a light pulse. If I'm doing soft stick practice, the click works. If I'm on the kit, the light is my focus. I've found through the years that that audible click in my cans is annoying if I'm focusing within a groove. I can just give a passing glance at that light and know that I know I'm solid on time. Unfortunately, I've checked online and can't seem to find them, though. Sorry. It's old. Maybe there's an updated version. Haven't checked for that.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, mcjnic, your metronome sounds SWEET! I like the light click idea. The producer Steve Albini had Dave Grohl use a device similar to that (or the same thing) on the In Utero sessions. It's called the "Black Box"?

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here