Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Methods to straighten T rods

I am sure this must have been discussed before but want to get others procedure of how they straighten out slightly bent T rods. I have a bunch of old t rods that are slightly bent and not straight. Some are the rods and some are bent a little at the T. Threads seem to be fine. Most work but hate the wobble.

Posted on 11 years ago

I thought you'd get some comments by now..... you can try a vise with some wood in the jaws to avoid marring the T rods. This should work for small bends in the middle. Slowly open and close turning the rod as you go each time for correction. Getting close to the head can be harder. You can also try a brass or plastic hammer/mallet again to avoid marring the T rods. Slowly working the bends straight. Some odd scraps of wood or brass to brace sometimes help. Here's a good one I have. From my RK bass. Good luck I hope more chime in with some good fixes! I could use some too.

1 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

From FFR428

I thought you'd get some comments by now..... you can try a vise with some wood in the jaws to avoid marring the T rods. This should work for small bends in the middle. Slowly open and close turning the rod as you go each time for correction. Getting close to the head can be harder. You can also try a brass or plastic hammer/mallet again to avoid marring the T rods. Slowly working the bends straight. Some odd scraps of wood or brass to brace sometimes help. Here's a good one I have. From my RK bass. Good luck I hope more chime in with some good fixes! I could use some too.

That's about all I would do...good advice.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, I agree with FFR428...I have straightened many T-rods with a vise...Take your time and use softeners such as wood, cloth, etc. and you should have success...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I have several that are just like the one in ffr426 pic.

Posted on 11 years ago

From vibes

Thanks for the tips. I have several that are just like the one in ffr426 pic.

For that I'm going to channel a "V" into a brass bushing I have. There's a long bolt screwed into the end and I use it as a punch/drift type of tool with a hammer. The V will hold the bent area in place as I hammer it straight. Then the vise to straighten the shank of the rod itself after the small bends are fixed. Hopefully it works out!! Cooked Egg

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here