Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

metal bd hoops

Did any other company offer tf hoops for bass drums other than Kent?,,..Any of you care to comment on the sound of these hoops be it positive or negative?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]TF ? What does that mean ? (two-thirds of wtf ?) Are you talking vintage makers ? l believe pre-70's a few others used metal hoops - Pearl and Star (Tama) for example. The reputation is that wood hoops on a bass sound warmer - but personally l don't buy it (maybe there's a difference - but on a bass drum driving even a small band - it wouldn't be discernible lMHO).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Triple flanged hoops.The kind you have on your floor tom,in fact thats what it looks like,a floor tom on its side.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

My Zickos Supersonic bass drum has a unique kind of inverted triple flange, STAINLESS STEEL hoop made especially for bass drum (because it has a notch taken out of the flange where the bass drum clamps on). Wasn't there a Slingerland set that utilized a triple flange hoop on the bass drum? -the "Jet" or something like that? Let me look around....

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Jet is right........

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

AHA! You beat me to it, kevins!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

From O-Lugs

AHA! You beat me to it, kevins!

Just finished my coffee !!.........electricitelectricitJump For JoyJump For JoyPartyParty

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Sonor has them on late 60's and 70's kits.had a 72 sonor swinger set and came from the factory with them.I have a kent set and was thinking about the same thing!! should i switch the factory rims to wood hoops?? Still not sure on what to do???

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

Sound...well...if you put metal hoops on a tom and wood hoops on an identical tom, there is a difference. I've done this from 8 inch toms to 18 inch floor toms. I've never done a side by side with the bass...that I can recall at this moment. I would imagine there would be a difference in sound. It just stands to reason based on what I've experienced. If you want to experiment, swap out your metal batter hoop on your snare for a Yamaha or Pacific wood hoop. Give that a whirl and judge for yourself if there's a difference. If your ears tell you there is, then there is. If not, then there is not. Pretty simple pseudo-science.

Posted on 14 years ago

I dont think your theory is that simple.Bass drums and 8"toms are two different animals,the beater vrs stick,tension,etc.I can see where you would parallel the 2 but i think drum sets should be looked at as each drum has its own character and should be viewed seperately.As primitive as drums are [were] they can be very complicated these days with folks trying to re-invent them;)

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here